Tight Barrel

ocha84

Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading the internal barrel of my AK-47. I've looked around the net and found two things that I'm interested in.

- Prometheus 6.03mm

- Systema 6.04mm

Which one is better? I've heard that 6.03mm barrel usually makes the gun jam due to the tightness. Is it true?

Go for the Prometheus!! I've both the Prometheus 6.03 & Systema 6.04 AK length barrels.

The prometheus is performing much better ( a really visible difference: closer groupings, better range,..).

A 6.03 will not jam more than a 6.04/6.08 if you clean it enough and if you use quality bb's.

I've never had a single jam when using a Prometheus 6.03. Ever.

I have Systema 6.04s, KM 6.04s and a Prometheus 6.03 barrel.

The 6.03 is definately more accurate than the 6.04 (same length in the same gun). The KM and Systema 6.04s shoot about the same as each other but I always feel a bit let down by the Systema 6.04 cos it looks just like a normal barrel.

My Prometheus 6.03 is terrific. Some people say they have problems with them being bent.

I know that stainless steel can be difficult to work with and sometimes a part will warp during manufacture. That might be the reason why some people report problems with them.

Personally, assuming the barrels were both working correctly, I'd definately go for a 6.03 instead of a 6.04 every time.

I'd buy the prometheus and, if it became obvious that there was a problem with it, I'd get it replaced.

Dunno where to buy them in the UK but have a nosey around for Madbull tightbores too. They're supposed to be as good as other 6.04s (maybe better) but often cheaper.

I'll add my support to the two above posts, the Prometheus barrels are awesome!

I even have one in my MG36, and even with countless thousands of rounds being spit through it, I've never had a single jam.

I've never tried the Madbull barrels, but I think they're OK too.

I'll add my support to the two above posts, the Prometheus barrels are awesome!

I even have one in my MG36, and even with countless thousands of rounds being spit through it, I've never had a single jam.

I've never tried the Madbull barrels, but I think they're OK too.

I'd go with the a Madbull. Much cheaper (stateside anyways) 6.03 and they look very nice. I own 6 from 229mm to 650mm. They aren't crowned as nice as the Prometheus' but for the price I don't think you can beat 'em.

The most comprehensive and scientifically correct test I've seen was from Airsoft Mechanics, and they rated KSC "Perfect" and Marushin "MAXI" BBs as the best. I've also used TM and Excel without problems. Also Sekito .20 g BBs give stable muzzle velocities and good accuracy, but their heavier BBs don't seem that good.

-Sale

Actually the best thing you can do is clean it with a dry cloth. Don't use anything else.

-Sale

Clean once with silicon, and then use dry. That's how I've always done it and I've never had a jam. My 2 cents.

I have a Prometheus 6.03 barrel and its beautiful, accurate, raised the fps, isn't picky about bb's (although some will vastly lower the accuracy). No misfires with good or bad bb's, awesome accuracy will top of the line bb's, wont jam with target ones.

what's ethyl lactate? excuse my ignorance

"Ethyl lactate, also known as lactic acid ethyl ester, is a monobasic ester formed from lactic acid and ethanol, commonly used as a solvent. This compound is considered biodegradable and can be used as a water rinsable degreaser. Ethyl lactate is found naturally in small quantities in a wide variety of foods including wine, chicken, and various fruits. The odor of ethyl lactate is mild, buttery, creamy, with hints of fruit and coconut."

Clean once with silicon, and then use dry. That's how I've always done it and I've never had a jam. My 2 cents.

It's not about preventing jams, but getting the best accuracy you can.

There's nothing in the barrel that would necessitate silicone oil. It will only prolong the life of the hop up sleeve, but I treat them separately. And even that I do seldom and with a really small amount of silicone.

-Sale

I usually just use a few .22 cleaning patches, dry when the barrel is on the gun. Whenever I use cleaning agents my HOP goes crazy for a few mags...if the barrel is off the gun/seperated from the HOP, I use this cleaning solvent made to remove plastic sabot residue from blackpowder rifle barrels, followed by many clean dry patches.

Archived