Prime P226 Frame mod. :geek:

amateurstuntman

I got a prime frame and slide (railed type) for my Marui P226 and was a little miffed to notice that the ramp just forward of the hole for the trigger wasn't present.

This ramp ensures the smooth operation of the detente for the takedown lever and on my P226 the lack of the ramp meant that the takedown lever didn't stay in quite the right place.

Here in a shot of the inside of the plastic marui body showing the ramp:

Plastic.jpg

Here is the Guarder metal body, despite it's flaws it has the ramp:

Guarder.jpg

On the Prime version despite it being better in terms of fit and finish the ramp is missing and so is the tapped column shown in these photos that is for screwing down the trigger mechanism.

This bothered me, not much but enough. So after a few weeks of it bothering me I did something about it.

I chopped the plastic frame to pieces then held the ramp in a pair of pliers from the inside.

Making sure I had the pliers flush with the inside of the frame I used my dremel cutting wheel to burn the plastic frame out from under the ramp.

The jaws of the pliers prevented me from cutting into the ramp.

When I was finished the plastic marui frame looked like this:

Sacrifice.jpg

I then removed the anodising from the inside of the Prime frame and roughed up the two surfaces to accept epoxy.

I use the 12 hour cure stuff because it is less brittle when it has cured.

I carefully measured the position of the ramp on another plastic frame I have and glued the ramp into the correct place.

If you are thinking of doing this and you only have one P226 make sure you measure the position of the ramp before you cut.

This is what it looks like glued into position:

Final.jpg

Now my takedown lever locks smoothly into place and doesn't move.

I doubt anyone else in the world is as mental as me and needs things to be right so much they cut up a totally unused frame but if anyone is that mental I hope this helps.

Stunt

• 8 months later...

Necro, but as a Prime owner, I gotta say the lack of the ramp is annoying. The spring keeps unhooking from the detente which, as AS stated, makes the takedown lever operation unreliable. Better just to disable it, which I did with my previous Prime kit without realizing the cause of the inconsistency was due to the lack of a ramp. Then, after fiddling about with my current kit and considering the above method, I realized that, while the ramp dremel/epoxy method is perfectionism at the fullest (kudos), it's a bit overkill.

I cut up the sand paper sponge I was using (for good ol' Prime metal body fitting) into a thin strip, rolled it up, wrapped it in electrical tape, placed it in the ramp space underneath the detente in the trigger mech, placed the trigger mech into the frame, and tested the detente operation. Too stiff. Pull it out, cut the strip shorter, try again. Perfect.

This method works well due to the sponge's elastic nature. It takes the shape of the space underneath the detente while providing a springy resistance, the strength of which you can modify.

Well, if it wasn't for this thread, I probably wouldn't have bothered to check for the ramp difference between frames. After fiddling with the detente and cursing at its stupid design and wondering why the hell there's such a big gap between it and the frame, I recalled seeing a thread back in the day where a mental guy chopped up a perfectly good plastic frame to get "smooth operation". Back then, I never considered that "smooth operation" meant "make it work properly". I just thought you were being a perfectionist, just smoothing out some roughness. :lol:

• 1 year later...
I got a prime frame and slide (railed type) for my Marui P226 and was a little miffed to notice that the ramp just forward of the hole for the trigger wasn't present.

This ramp ensures the smooth operation of the detente for the takedown lever and on my P226 the lack of the ramp meant that the takedown lever didn't stay in quite the right place.

Here in a shot of the inside of the plastic marui body showing the ramp:

Plastic.jpg

Here is the Guarder metal body, despite it's flaws it has the ramp:

Guarder.jpg

On the Prime version despite it being better in terms of fit and finish the ramp is missing and so is the tapped column shown in these photos that is for screwing down the trigger mechanism.

This bothered me, not much but enough. So after a few weeks of it bothering me I did something about it.

I chopped the plastic frame to pieces then held the ramp in a pair of pliers from the inside.

Making sure I had the pliers flush with the inside of the frame I used my dremel cutting wheel to burn the plastic frame out from under the ramp.

The jaws of the pliers prevented me from cutting into the ramp.

When I was finished the plastic marui frame looked like this:

Sacrifice.jpg

I then removed the anodising from the inside of the Prime frame and roughed up the two surfaces to accept epoxy.

I use the 12 hour cure stuff because it is less brittle when it has cured.

I carefully measured the position of the ramp on another plastic frame I have and glued the ramp into the correct place.

If you are thinking of doing this and you only have one P226 make sure you measure the position of the ramp before you cut.

This is what it looks like glued into position:

Final.jpg

Now my takedown lever locks smoothly into place and doesn't move.

I doubt anyone else in the world is as mental as me and needs things to be right so much they cut up a totally unused frame but if anyone is that mental I hope this helps.

Stunt

Hi mate your name pop out from another airsoft forum when I was asking for assistance for plastic-to-metal assembling of the SIG. Somebody remembered your work! Anyway back to my desperate question- have you still got the step-by-step guide in assembling the p226?with pictures? I would greatly appreciate it if you can run them through again on this forum mate- you will save me ££s!

BUT if you don't have them anymore, will you be able to lead me to it?where to download them etc.?

Many thanks. :D

Archived