Classic Army Steyr AUG A1

TheJackal

Hi I have been looking through the classic army collection an found this beautiful looking Steyr. Can some who owns one get back to me with info about; firepower, accuracy,range,reliability,upgradability, and any problem you've encountered.

I know that's alot but I just want all the facts that all :)

Would appreciate the help,

Thanks!

well i owned a ca aug a1

-)The accuracy is good

-) the steel gear are worse-->2 gears broke after 1000-2000 shots

-)insane ROF with 9,6V battery

-)bad foregrip-->extreme wooble

-)bad body finish->you can see the weld seam->body broke a little bit.

-)scope is good

To Round of: It's not worth to buy this AEG.

I sold my CA AUg...

well i owned a ca aug a1

-)The accuracy is good

-) the steel gear are worse-->2 gears broke after 1000-2000 shots

-)insane ROF with 9,6V battery

-)bad foregrip-->extreme wooble

-)bad body finish->you can see the weld seam->body broke a little bit.

-)scope is good

To Round of: It's not worth to buy this AEG.

I sold my CA AUg...

Wow. Sadly a bit negative there.

CA Steyr AUG (actually from my point of view its all CA guns) is not without its good points and bad. They are made like Chinese guns and require a bit of "tuning" to get going good.

Here are some points to note when purchasing the CA Steyr AUG.

1) The Piston's steel last tooth is overcasted in size, meaning that it doesn't mesh with the sector gear very well. That means the sector will have an increased pressure on it from the mismatch. This is most likely the cause of the gear failures. Its generally ok on stock power but when upgraded the wear on the sector will be more. This problem is not just on the AUG but on ALL CA yellow pistons.

Solution is either to file the steel tooth down to the right shape, or replace with a Marui/3rd party steel tooth.

2) The piston 2nd tooth (from the rear) is miss matched with the sector gear teeth so it requires filing down to about 1/5 height, else the piston will wear after 1000 rounds because of the brittleness of the CA Polycarbonate. When both 1) & 2) issues are fixed the piston can last a while (I have the modified CA pistons on M130 & M140 setups with no visible wear after 3000 rounds). Again this is on all CA pistons.

3) Accuracy of the AUG is good but not consistent for beyond 40m, this is due to the barrel being pushed up at the barrel mounting areas from over tight casting moulds. You can normally see the inner barrel having concentric rings but once the barrel is locked in place you can see that the rings bend upwards. Nothing a dremel and a file on the right areas doesn't fix.

4) The CA Motor rocks!

5) CA gears have nothing wrong with them. They are in some Chinese made guns, in the KA FAL, and are much better than marui gears.

6) Wobbly foregrip, yes. But the real steel one wobbles also. The annoying thing is the "twang" sound from the spring inside the grip, which can be fixed with foam or bubble wrap.

7) Body finish is closer to the real one than the TM. Real one has seam lines but has been planed off, the CA replicates that process, and is quite nice. The CA body is also a lot more rigid than the TM.

8) During insertion of mechbox back into the gun, the faux bolt plate assembly, like the marui AUG, likes to spring out and launch itself out of the receiver either into the stock. Then it gets stuck, and annoyingly prevents you to take the mech apart, but thats a rare occurance.

9) The integral 1.5x scope is more than sufficient for airsoft, its clear and can be zeroed easily. Its an Australian Army crosshair.

To conclude: Yes you need some effort with this AEG, but by no means a bad thing. All AEGs require some effort to get going good. Once you tune the CA AUG and its set it will keep working like a swiss clock and so far I have to say nothing have outlasted the CA Steyrs on the fields where I played. It will keep on shooting even when the M4s and G3s have died. For me (from a guy who uses the RS AUG), it is impressive enough to be a keeper.

• 5 weeks later...

I held a CA AUG A1 at PowerEdge Hawaii, and was somewhat disappointed:

A. The foregrip felt just as wobbly and flimsy as the Marui's.

B. Steyr Arms logo shouldn't be there (see reference).

C. Charging handle plastic looked kinda ######.

D. Charging handle wouldn't come back far enough to lock properly.

E. Magazine felt flimsy as hell--buttplate of magazine was practically coming off.

F. Iron sights appeared to be a little short.

G. IIRC, some AUG iron sights have white dots.

F. Bolt is black and unmarked, which is wrong (see reference).

Logo reference:

14incha2aug.jpg

As you can see, not there.

Bolt reference:

AUG%20Carriers.jpg

As you can see, should be gray with markings, not black without markings.

Archived