Best sniper ammo?

MDK_Marshal

What's teh best brand/weight of ammo you've used to date?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. What's teh best brand/weight of ammo you've used to date?

• Digicon/Straight
    • Maruzen SGM's
    • Excel
    • Marui
    • Xtreme
    • KSC Perfect
    • Other (please state)

Rightey ho. I'm pretty much a n00b to sniping, and I'm interested in what you guys would recommend as the best ammo. I've heard great things about SGM's, but I'd like to get people's actual opinions as to which ones are best for dedicated sniping.

I've included as many brands as I could find on the poll, including anyone who makes 0.3's ^_^

To save having a gazzilion different poll options, I've left the weight of ammo off; if you'd be so kind to post that along with any other replies you've got going, it'd be helpfull.

I'm aware that heavy ammo is a bit useless for low FPS guns, But this would be for a rifle doing something in the areas of 400-500 fps, as 500 is the celing for rifles at my local site.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm quite happy using the Digicon/Straight 0.36g and 0.43g rounds in my 500fps Tanaka M700. They're covered in some telfon powder or something but they're pretty good - you won't be putting huge numbers of rounds down the barrel so a quick barrel clean at the end of a days play is all that's needed to keep things sweet.

edit:

oh yeah and because they're not white they're much harder spot in flight meaning people don't dodge them so easily and/or work out were you're firing from so easily ;)

Just remember that with the heavier weights there's a bigger delay between firing and hitting the target.

not used all of the ammo on the list but i have used:

digicon .3's, .36's and .43's

Marui .3's

and Extreme .3's and .28's

the best being the extreme in my opinion, there isnt much difference between the .28's and .3's but they seem to be excellent value for money and it saves me cleaning my hop regularly as they are not teflon caoted :D

Pretty much was Catman says...

I have always used .36's or .43's in all of my Tanaka's and my VSR. They do the job well enough.

Whilst I have used both white and graphite coated, I think I would have to say I prefer white. They are a teeny bit more stable and yes, whilst you can see them, a single shot is not all that noticeable unless they are looking at where you are. By which time you are buggered anyway.

Besides, with the grey ones, you are hard pushed to see them yourself, so you dont get to know where to aim off on the next shot so well.

You hear people praise SGM's, but at the expense they are, and the general distances I shoot at, I cant really justify the cost.

.29 SGMs are as precise as BBs get. At extended ranges, ANY inconsistency between BBs will affect your accuracy. With that said, some guys I know swear by .43s and .36s.

We shoot at 200 feet+ and expect to hit what we're aiming at. In our experience, no other BB stacks up as well as SGMs for shot to shot consistency.

Expensive? Relatively, yes, but at .03 per shot in a bolt rifle you're not blazing through 10,000 rounds a day, so a box of 500 will last for quite some time.

Edit: the coating on the straights will gunk up your hop and barrel. Canadian Stalker and others over at airsoftretreat's sniper's perch have discussed soaking the bbs in cola to remove the coating which purportedly improves the consistency. Haven't tested it myself.

I'm still currently working my way through a bad of Guarder .28's. While technically not sniper ammo, I'd not use .28's in AEGs myself, so they suit sniper rifles well. To be honest it was a chance choice as I'd run out of TM .3's at the time and was doing an order before a weekend game, they happened to be the best option available at the time.

Having said that, the weight vs accuracy for me is a perfect comprimise, and they are more than good enough for my level of expectations. I'm sure that compared to SGM's etc there would be some difference but considering you get 3500 for a tenner, I'll probably still be using em this time next year and happy to be doing so :D

all bb's are less than 6mm

SGM's are coated with a waxy polish, making them a whole lot more round than any other brand, thats why they are so much more accurate.

Don't forget 8mm bbs ;)...

I can't vouch much for bb weights to use with sniper rifles (as I am not one and have no experiece with sniping whatsoever), but I can vouch for KSC Perfect bbs...probably the best bb you can buy for standard AEGs. Their .25 have by far the best flight path I've seen.

well so far I have used these bb's in my VSR

TM .25's

Airsoft Elite .25's

Guarder .28's

Maruzen SGM's .29

The SGM's were the most consistent. Not to far behind are the Guarder .28's ( If you have a low budget i would recomend these)

I still have not had a chance to use the TM .3's yet but i hear that they are the best. I hope to buy some of these soon and try them out.

I think it is important to state what kind of velocity your rifle was doing, when it suited a particular weight/brand of pellet.

I prefered 0.30g MARUZEN in my old APS2 MK2 SPORTER. Although I would say that back then there was less choice in makers of heavier ammo. My APS was only 320fps and only had a few parts replaced and 110% PSS2 spring.

I also rated STRAIGHT 0.36g (WHITE non teflon) in it. However please note that my HOP was modded and without that you would struggle to fire such heavy pellets as far at that low power. The 0.30g still went an extra 15m though, hence they were my general purpose pellet weight. I used 0.36g in less open terrain or in windy conditions.

I used 0.29g SGM in it but they were too light for my setup and performed no better than the 0.30g. The barrel was only 6.05mm brass (it was stated in the manual).

My G-SPEC likes MARUI 0.25g or GUARDER 0.25g best. The VSR10 is stock only. I am going to test my G+P 0.28g in it. I'll report back soon. Heavier ammo has more of a lob shot trajectory in my experiance and although grouping may improve, it requires you aim high for shorter ranged shots than if you use a lighter weight pellet. The lighter ammo goes flatter but with less accuracy, plus is less stable in the wind.

I come from a background of shooting high powered 6mm spring guns before HOP was invented (in the amazing SUPERMAS). So with abit of practice I find you can get used to lob shooting. The only downside of all this talk of lobbing pellets is that the arc is vastly increased compared to firearms and you may have to aim several YARDS above the target to get the pellet to drop on at longer ranges. This is fine in an open field situation and hence why iron sights can be advantagious at this type of shooting (TDS ;) ). However, the reality of 6mm BB lob shooting, is that in woodland this can often become impossible due to overhead cover/branches. You need to aim so high; it will hit a tree!!! Remember no matter how powerful your 6mm gun is it may well punch through foliage/cover, but branches only half way down the range, mean the pellet is doubtful to find it's way to the target. Hitting cover often puts strange and random spin on a BB that alters it's flightpath remember.

My KJW M700P fired best on DIGICON STRAIGHT 0.36g whites. Although accuracy was not as good as my shorter barrelled APS2. The KJW fired a rough average of 500fps but was far from consistant in velocity.

The TANAKA M40a1 I recently invested in, has run best so far, on SIIS 0.30g which it states on the bag are 5.95mm-5.97mm in diameter. 0.36g STRAIGHT were OK in it, but due to the need for less HOP in a Tanaka M700 based rifle, they have limited range compared to lighter pellets from first impressions. Not tested my 0.29g SGM in it yet though. Power was way over 500fps on the range last time out, as it was one of the last few PCS and full bore versions, before the new Japanese clamp down was enforced.

The MK23 SOCOM likes 0.25g TM on Green Gas (around 320fps).

Better quality pellets such as SGM suit rifle that have tighter barrels IMO. I only have quasi-tightbores (6.05mm) but was suprised to see some players concerned about the costs of ammo when they already invest lots into the rifles and very expensive parts. If you intend to "upgrade" and produce the best result from the investment, you need to follow it through and not be shy on ammo costs too. Just my thoughts...

I think MARUZEN are missing a big part of the Airsoft market here and should make more weights for their 10m target rifles (APS2). Say 0.33g or there abouts. People do accept their SGM as the BEST quality pellets out there.... they just might not like that 0.29g weight. We want guaranteed quality basicly... so if they could get that same quality on another heavier weight, they they would corner much of the "sniper" market.

I still think that AIRSOFT magazines should test all the ammo, with the same clamped rifle... just like an Air Rifle magazine does every now and again...

Whenever I order from somewhere... they are always out of stock of 0.30g at that moment in time.... :( I'll get some eventually.

Sorry to ramble :mellow:

Hmm.... Looks like I'll have to do a bit of testing and see what my USR is happiest with. Well, i can't say it's a surprise!

Gona be trying it today with a small amount of xtreme 0.25's, as they're the heaviest ammo I've got, and I doubt that a courier can get to me from *albatross* in under half an hour! :D

Hopefully the xtreme's will work fine...

For a sniper's rifle at 550 FPS, would SGMs or .34s or .43s give the best results? One guy said that SGMs would do best to about 200 feet, but after that you need heavier BBs. The dilemma, of course, being that those BBs aren't as high quality so they will suffer greatly within 200 feet...

BLAH. Why can't Airsoft Elite make some SGMs at .43?

Does anyone have experience with the SIIS .33g?

For a sniper's rifle at 550 FPS, would SGMs or .34s or .43s give the best results?  One guy said that SGMs would do best to about 200 feet, but after that you need heavier BBs.  The dilemma, of course, being  that those BBs aren't as high quality so they will suffer greatly within 200 feet...

BLAH.  Why can't Airsoft Elite make some SGMs at .43?

550 with what bb, just an fps figure doesnt give any idea of power

AE doesnt make some .43 sgms because all airsoft elite does is repackage bb's, they dont make anything.

For a sniper's rifle at 550 FPS, would SGMs or .34s or .43s give the best results?  One guy said that SGMs would do best to about 200 feet, but after that you need heavier BBs.  The dilemma, of course, being  that those BBs aren't as high quality so they will suffer greatly within 200 feet...

BLAH.  Why can't Airsoft Elite make some SGMs at .43?

Does anyone have experience with the SIIS .33g?

i use xtreme precision .30g and i can hit 50metres accurately... and 200feet is around 60 metres well... just under 61 if you wanna be more precise. and mine's just a little over 500 last time i checked it and everything.

.43s would be recommended for any longer distances (if it does go that far in the first place, i dont know. never tried) but if i can hit 50metres on .30 at 415fps average with pretty damn good accuracy then... i think .43 would do you just fine on the accuracy at longer distances (i know people use .36/36 for that power range anyway) but using .43 i havent actually tried testing to see if it goes further or not as far as using lighter ammo.

it's just like the .20g and .25g thing people have. it goes about the same distance because .20 has less momentum but goes quicker initially but .25 goes about the same distance and swerves less. i guess the only way to figure the ammo weight decision out is just to go try it out yourself.

Archived