alien vs. predator

flipsnip

I really didn't like it...espically compared to the other films. The gestation period for the aliens (face hugger, embryo and baby alien) was WAAAAAAAY too short, espically compared to the other films. Usually takes a few days for the chest burster, but only like 10 minutes in this movie. The queen alien chained up like a slave was pretty gay and the eggs on a conveyor belt. That is a bit too high tech conpared to when and who built the pyramid. There are more things that really bothered me about the film but I don't want to ruin it for anyone. I believe they took a real cool concept but screwed it up royally.

seen it....good, but poor.

Good if it was just a film

poor coz it was meant to be a super uber mega film. i mean the thing was being hyped when i was 3 in pred 2.

it could have been sooooooooooooo much more, yet still a good film if you want to pass 2hours with guns and monsters and the boom and stuff

Regards chest bursting... in the first film it's within a day (but a few hours), in the second it ranges from hours to weeks, in the 3rd Alien film it's several days, in the 4th it's less than 24hours, and in the AvP movie it's down to hours.

..continuity wasn't what they were after at any point. ;)

As for the film - it was fun to watch, but not what I'd call a good film. It should have been stuck on an 18cert and been truer to the older films in terms of gore. I'm no great fan of stuff that lowers the age limit to pander to the wider audience.

At this rate we'll all be watching PG-12 stuff in a few years (and nothing else) that will reduce films from the status of classics like Robocop to trash like Robocop 3...

That bit I don't get. The first Alien film was set (if memory serves) in 2087, then Aliens is 57 years after that making it 2144.

This means that Bishop was made to look like a guy called "Weyland" who was the co-founder of the company almost 150 years previously (as seen in AvP)?

Then there's Lance Hendrickson looking like Bishop/Weyland at the end of Alien3 who is human (note the red blood). Anyone got a bead on who he's meant to be? I recall he's meant to be a "friendly face" but past that I don't recall.

..just seems all a bit odd, unless Weyland was cloned over the 150 years the films are set over.

No I think you've got that confused with "Alien - Spy Kids", certificate U-12. In this amazing pre-pre-prequel Ripley at age 10 on her way to playskool stubles into a house full of some naughty xenomorphs that have appeared from some highly implausable plot twist. All seems lost until her Teacher who si also her dad (bizarrely played by Lance Henrickson) comes in to save the day, after learning kung-fu in mere seconds, and raiding the local gunclub for supplies, as it turns out he's actually a top US spy.

..thankfully Ripley undergoes hypo-regression to make her forget the events of the film.. or something. :)

Useless fact. Hendrickson was first cast as the Terminator for the first Arnie film, but wanted to play the policeman instead. Heaven knows how history would have panned out if that had happened the other way around.

Hmm further thought: You do realise that this means that they can release ANOTHER box set next year, this time with Alien1-4, AvP and the two Predator films? Now stick in 54 weeks of boring documentaries, old trailers and voiceovers, not forgetting the special edition of Aliens/Alien and you've now got the best part of a 10 disc DVD box set. ..yawn.

At least the days of VHS are over or they'd re-release that lot in widescreen, then THX after that, all in pretty different coloured carboard boxes that fall to bits.

well for a start it would bring back a whole new perspective on the phrase "I'll be back".

Another note about AvP, i couldn't help noticing that the Erm... Mouth of the Predator no longer looks like a womans (..insert own word here...). Wonder if it was because of complaints regarding the similarity?

From what I know about the guys behind the film the effects crew behind the new Predator look are not the same folk that did the previous films. I guess there's a lot of personal taste and flair in such designs, thus reflecting the artist and hence a rather different look :)

Lets not forget the fact that the age limits were dropped for this film, so it was somewhat sanitised.

Depends how much you want to pay.:) You can get green laser pointers cheaply. You can then retrofit the laser unit guts into a conventional cheapy laser body, such as the ICS or beamshot copies.

http://www.edinst.com/greenlaserpointer.htm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...6325617722&rd=1

I've not seen any green lasers specifically designed for weapon use though. It's not hard to fit a pressurepad switch to any of the laser pointers that are around.

Haven't seen it but I did get into a very interesting conversation with a random chap on the train who works in special effects. He did a load of the post-production work on AvP (which he said was naff) and had just started on the Doom movie, which he raved about - apparently the director's gone for an all-out 18 rating with copious amounts of death, carnage and upside-down crosses.

Just what you'd expect, really :)

Actually, thinking back, it wasn't helped at all by the censoring. I can see why the studio butted in to drop it's rating; as an 18, it would have flopped, as it was a pretty childish film anyways. But removing the gore and swearing from an Aliens/Predator film?

/shakes head

Archived