Tokyo Marui M14 SOCOM CQB .308

Tokyo Marui M14 SOCOM

C.Q.B Rifle .308

Tokyo Marui has kept this latest offering under wraps for a while now and finally it’s been released. Rumours here in Japan was that it was supposed to be released shortly after the original M14 was released, but decided against it due to internal marketing strategies here in Japan. Never the less it has finally been released just in time for Christmas, or for you Asians out there, New Years!

Packaging.

Again, Tokyo Marui has really thought about the box and how the item is presented on the shelf. Sporting a matt black box with the lettering in a gloss black really makes the box stand out from the crowd and the presentation is inline with that of the original M14 and the new M1911A1, although saying that I really feel that it was a different company who released the Glock 17 as it was packaged like previous pistols released by Tokyo Marui.

boxff9.jpg

Upon opening the box you are presented with the rifle on a very stylish satin style backdrop, with the manual, BB’s, new catalogue and muzzle cap hidden away in a box made to look like a display plaque.

internalshotgt9.jpg

The Rifle.

riflemediumuj9.jpg

The first thing you notice is the finish of the stock. Tokyo Marui seems to have listened to the customers critique about the tacky feel of the previous M14 in both OD and wood finish. The Socom feel a whole lot more sturdy and the seam lines are a lot harder to detect with the naked eye. It is also made out of a much higher quality polymer than the previous model thus adding slightly more weight.

seamlinesmediumfy5.jpg

The Sand Stone finish is excellent, which is present on both the stock of the gun and also the heat shield and is very robust. After a heavy day’s game playing in a dried riverbed there was no heavy scaring on the finish and where there were markers needed to be looked for carefully before being detected.

sandstonefinishstockmedlm5.jpg

Another excellent feature is the textured fore grip area and also the trigger grip; these really offer a non-slip grip to the weapon compared to that on the original OD finish.

texturedgripmediumbc9.jpg

texturedforegripmediumgi6.jpg

As mentioned before the heat shield also sports the Sand Stone Finish and is also made of the high quality polymer as the stock of the rifle, the Scout style mount is also very robust and is well made.

heatguardmediumcv0.jpg

scouttypemediumzb3.jpg

The bolt, rear sights, trigger guard and trigger are the same as the original M14 and even have the same markings on the ejection port and the block just behind the rear sights. The internal workings are also identical to the original, but some of the issues reported with the original model have been addressed. The only real difference is the markings on the cocking handle which proudly sports the “SOCOM” markings.

socomletteringmediumle2.jpg

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The front of the rifle as you can all well imagine is very different to the original, sporting a shortened barrel length thus reducing the total length of the rifle to 946mm compared to the originals 1,127mm. Now some of you are saying that “It’s as long as my M16A2, so how can it be a CQB weapon?” Well to put it in layman terms, this is the CQB version of a M14 which fires 0.308 Cal. So no compared to your MP7A1 or your Patriot, it’s not as practical for CQB. But for players who need both the accuracy of a rifle but also something that is practical for indoor use, the M14 SOCOM is going to be high on your wish list.

m14vmp5mediumpe2.jpg

Although compared to an MP5A2 there is only 170mm difference.

The micro ported muzzle break also matches the high quality finish of the rest of the gun and I especially like the crescent style front sights, although Tokyo Marui

could have gone the extra mile and designed it with the luminous style front sight.

muzzlebreakmediumet6.jpg

Balance.

The balance of the Tokyo Marui is excellent, and with a large capacity battery at the back thee gun is perfect with a very fast response when you snap the rifle up into the firing position.

Conclusion.

I have to say that the Tokyo Marui M14 SOCOM is probably the only gun I have bought that doesn’t seem to yearn for accessories or upgraded external parts. From the high quality stock with the sand stone finish to the metal parts this gun is screaming high quality. The only thing really missing is the Aimpoint M2 comp, but in a way I’m glad Tokyo Marui didn’t taint the gun with their Pro Sight red dot.

Another thing to point out is the brand image of Tokyo Marui, as we are all aware they hold a very high regard to their quality control and also their hop-unit. All these things are sure to put a huge dent in the demand for the G&G M14 variant especially with the QA issues they have been having along with the $150.00 USD price difference between the two. Also the amount of clones that a swamping the market recently stand no chance against the latest Tokyo Marui rendition.

Pros

• Great packaging

• Very High Quality finish to all parts.

• Tokyo Marui gear box.

• Tokyo Marui Hop unit.

• Requires no upgrading to finish the look of the gun.

• Requires no power downgrading for UK or Japanese players.

Well it’s hard to find fault with this rifle, and the points I make below if altered could have possibly raised the price of the product.

Cons

• Came little to late for the M14 fan boys, who custom built their SOCOM.

• Tokyo Marui could have changed the serial numbers on the bolt.

• Could have come with luminous front sights.

• Could have come with Tokyo Marui’s Pro sight red dot.(Even though I do hate it!!!)

I hate to admit it guys and gals but there really is nothing you can fault this product on apart from the fact it was released around a year too late to compete with the initial drive of G&G’s version. It’s not to everyone’s tastes but for those looking for a CQB weapon when they played the designated marksman or a rifle not as long as the original M14, then you can’t go wrong.

Total 9/10

Keep posted for the preformance review right here.

What specifically have they changed/improved?

cheers

Same here. The only serious internal issue of the original I can recall was the monkey metal cutoff lever wearing (losing semi mode) when installing upgraded steel gears but I believe Guarder has addressed this issue with a steel replacement cutoff lever.

Rumours here in Japan was that it was supposed to be released shortly after the original M14 was released, but decided against it due to internal marketing strategies here in Japan.

I really hope that isn't true, as it would've saved me

ETA for mine is mid-jan. Thanks for making the wait just a little bit harder.

######, at this rate, Zeon'll be right. I'll be the third person in Canada to own a SOCOM, not the second. :blink:

I really hope that isn't true, as it would've saved me

ETA for mine is mid-jan. Thanks for making the wait just a little bit harder.

######, at this rate, Zeon'll be right. I'll be the third person in Canada to own a SOCOM, not the second. :blink:

i also got one coming in mid jan.. shyt tho, i thought i'd be one of the only very few with it.. i guess there is a couple more than i thought... awesome gun tho, eh?

Mine just came from the UPS man, today.

Comparing it to my real steel M1A Scout:

-The safety is much lighter on the TM than on the RS

-Parts of the RS that are a grey finish have a black/darker finish on the TM

-The 'sand' is much finer than on the RS

-The TM has checkering on the pistol grip and foregrip, which is kinda nice....

Random thought:

Turning the SOCOM into a Scout will be immeasurably easier than turning the Standard into a Scout. All that you need to get the same length is replace the flashhider with the long PDI M25 flashhider (or any other CCW flashhider of roughly 4.25" length). A more accurate mod would replace the front sight with the standard gas tube/barrel locking thingy mabob and the flashhider with the standard M14 flashhider w/ front sight.

A-fear-ma-tiff.

Now I need to find those parts. -_-

EDIT: Oh. One more difference:

The butt pad is completely different. The RS has a rubber butt pad, where as the TM has the 'steel' butt pad. Of course, if they had gone with the rubber, it would make it difficult to get a battery in the gun. But it also makes the length of pull on the stock somewhat shorter.

Edited by Jagdraben
A-fear-ma-tiff.

Now I need to find those parts. -_-

EDIT: Oh. One more difference:

The butt pad is completely different. The RS has a rubber butt pad, where as the TM has the 'steel' butt pad. Of course, if they had gone with the rubber, it would make it difficult to get a battery in the gun. But it also makes the length of pull on the stock somewhat shorter.

LayLax makes a rubber butt pad! :D

So the LayLax slides over the butt pad or... what...?

Because the real rubber butt pad only increases the length of pull by about a quarter of an inch versus the steel butt pad. It looks to me that the LayLax butt pad adds significantly more to the length of pull....

Edited by Jagdraben