Gas Blowback Semi/Full Auto 8mm

M2Image1_med.png

GreenBox1.png

The ubiquitous green box of express shipment

M2Box1.png

The pursuit of happyness....

M2Packing1_med.png

As it comes packed

Today, 7 January 2007, during the third snowstorm Denver has seen in 3 weeks I received the object of my desire.

The Marushin M2 Carbine

This is the much anticipated release of Marushin's sophmore effort in the Gas Blow Back rifle arena. The well known Marushin M1 Garand is the 'big brother' in more ways than one to the new M2 Carbine. The popularity of the M1 Garand among the public showed that interest in WWII era weapons had not diminished and in fact must be increasing as evidenced by their release of the 8mm Blockback M712 Broomhandle Mauser and soon to be released MP40 8mm Blowback.

I have always had a thing for the whole .30 Cal Carbine family as mentioned in my review of the Marushin M1 Carbine custom installation in M1A1 Paratrooper folding stock, so I wont spend alot of time on the whole history of the M1 bla bla bla-

Except to say the the M2 introduced Select fire to the spunky little .30 Cal infantry weapon. The M2 was first introduced late in WWII and never really saw widespread issuance in the war. However, the Korean Conflict was another story. And it saw action in Vietnam.

M2Photo3_med.png

This review will look at the differences in this lastest Carbine version from Marushin.

First off, I need to debunk some rumors-

The M1 Carbine mags DO NOT fit.

yeah, I know, bummer....

M2Magazine2_med.png

I guess I should have guessed it though, the M1 Carbine is a gas rifle yes, but a NBB- not a GBB. So the mags of course are completely different.

2nd myth to debunk-

Is it 21 rounds or 15?

Yeah, hadn't heard about that eh?

Yes as you can see, the magazine holds 21 rounds

21inMag1_med.png

But really works better with 17

17inMag1_med.png

The two magazines I put through it while certainly not completely indicitive of proper 'bench testing' seemed to indicate feed problems with the magazine completely full- perhaps that is why there have not been any reports of the 21 round capacity to date.

Also, my Japanese isn't very great, but I think they are talking about two different fill holes on the magazine- which is another difference between the GBB and NBB Carbines.

M2Instructions1_med.png

M2Instructions2_med.png

More in part two of the review- stay tuned!

Slainte!

-G

Edited by Guinness

Marushin M2 Carbine Part II

M2Photo2_med.png

More fun with M2 Mags

When we left our hero, the M2 Carbine ;) we were discussing differences in the magazines in a little more detail.

Here are the two gas-filling ends of the magazines-

M2MagFillClose1_med.png

Notice that the M2 mag on the right has two fill nipples rather than the standard one as seen in the M1 mag on the left.

Could this mean that one reservoir is for shooting the 8mm cannonball and the other reservoir is for the blowback action? Could it just be a new and different overfill valve? Maybe whoever can read the instructions can tell.

M2Magwell2_med.png

M1 Carbine (left), M2 Carbine (right)

M2Magwell1_med.png

M1 Carbine (top), M2 Carbine (bottom)

View of the magazine wells of both the M1 Carbine and M2 Carbine.

M2Magazine1_med.png

Another view of the two magazines.

M2Photo1_med.png

New Controls

Those of us that own or have owned M1 Carbines in the past in either the 6mm or 8mm varities are pretty familiar with the controls of the M1 Carbine. Pretty straightforward and simple.

However with the M2 comes full-auto ability, and the fire selector is located on the left side of the breech.

M2FullAuto1_med.png

Forward for Full Auto goodness :P

M2SemiAuto1_med.png

And to the rear for semi-auto joy :D

One of the things that I was really happy to see was the fact that like the M1 Carbine, the gun is full metal.

Another high point for me was, like it's 'big brother' the M1 Garand, the bolt indeed locks back.

M2BoltOpen1_med.png

Bolt locked back and open

M2BoltClosed1_med.png

Bolt Closed, weapon in battery

...Don't go away, part three coming right up!

Marushin M2 Carbine Part III

M2Image2_med.png

Where were we then?....oh yes- discussing the new M2 Carbine, ahh yes.

The finish on the M2 is excellent, much more of a 'gunmetal' than the almost gloss black of previous M1 Carbines.

M2BarrelDetail1_med.png

Some detail of the bayonett lug and the barrel- all metal

Replica Impressions

Based on initial impressions of the new combat rifle from Marushin, I am well pleased.

The wood, while a bit lighter in color than I was expecting and frankly, almost looking like a synthetic stock, after a while begins to grow on you. I believe the images show the subtle good looks of the stock furnature.

Obviously Marushin threw out the M1 molds and started completely from scratch with the M2. While logically related as they are iterations of the same basic design, the Marushin M1 Carbine and new M2 Carbine are really two completely different weapons. The receiver markings front and rear have been completely redone and I believe look very authentic. And as mentioned, the magazine system has been completely re-engineered. Hopefully something can be done about the stock magazine spring that will allow all 20 (or 21) bb's to be used.

While many in the community will be turned-off by this seemingly miniscule bb capacity as compared to the "Hi-Cap" world, I personally enjoy the increased realisim and 'challenge' of 'real-cap' mags. It forces you to "Make every round count, Soldier!"

Shooting Impressions

Well, as I said at the beginning, it's the third week in a row where a major snow system has visited us here in Colorado not altogether unlike the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future from the favorite holiday story.

However this is getting ridiculous..... :cold2:

It's somewhere between 15 and 20 degrees in my garage today, but what the heck, let's open the hatch and kill some snowmen!

Of course I didn't take any photo's of the snow bank target practice, I will update the review with properly perforated targets as soon as it stops snowing...... :rolleyes:

The gun operated flawlessly on green gas just as it's older brother the M1 Carbine has before it, and the only non-feeds came when I started with 21 bb's in the magazine. When only loading 17, every bb fed and fired. There was magazine cooling and power fade, but again, it's colder than a well digger's a**.......

Gas guns + cold temps = no es bueno :(

So I was pleasently surprised to see bb's reaching out across the snowy cul-du-sac, I can't wait for warmer temps with this baby!

Hearing and watching the bolt cycle and the M2 spit the 8mm cannonballs out on full auto is a true joy and well worth the ticket price.

M2Photo4_med.png

I don't own a chrono, so I will also update this review with fps measurements ASAP.

My M1 Carbine averages around 410 fps on Green Gas in the summer here. However being a NBB design or, in the case of skirmishes considered a "Bolt-Action" rifle that is not 'too hot' for field use, I just have to make sure not to engage targets less than 75' away. Which with a bolt action operation, isn't too bad you want to stay out of their handgun range.

This has really relegated the M1 Carbine family generally to sniper and counter-sniper duty.

With the introduction of Marushin's full-auto/semi-auto 8mm blowback M2 Carbine, perhaps the days of hiding your Carbine in the back while the 'other' assault rifles lead the charge are finally over.

It will be very interesting to bench test this new rifle and see what energy penalty to blowback mechanism causes and see what the effective shooting fps is. It will be very good indeed if Marushin has brought us a viable semi-auto/full-auto rifle for the WWII and early 'Nam Airsoftenactors among us.

It appears to this reporter that Marushin is taking the feedback from M1 Garand owners seriously and seeking to improve their product and really take a healthy bite out of the growing 'period' impression trend.

Conclusion

I am really really really happy with the M2 so far I just want to throw that caveat out there because if she goes tit's up...... ;)

Actually, knock on the wood of the new M2's stock, this baby looks to be a right well built bit of kit. Feels more solid in my hands than any of the two previous iterations of M1 Carbine, and that is saying something because the most recent M1 version in 8mm is fairly well tank-like itself. This is heavier and more substantial.

Again, initial 'ballistics' indicate a well engineered blowback system. And as it did with the M1 Garand, time will tell what weaknesses may arise in the weapon- I am confident that Marushin is serious about this niche market enough to fully stand behind it and support it. This new kid on the block had better be a chip off the 'ol block because it has a tough act to follow in the accuracy and fps area filling the shoes of the M1 Carbine.

While I still haven't figured out what the whole "LD2 Barrel System" thing is all about, I can say this weapon shoots hard and straight in the tests I have been able to perform so far.

I will update this thread with any further impressions I have of this weapon, for the time being I really have to say that Marushin got it right, this makes me really look forward to their upcoming 8mm MP40 blowback!

My thanks to Marushin, UNCo., Arnies Airsoft and WW2AA.

Slainte!

-G

M2FullLeft2_med.png
Edited by Guinness
Really nice review,

anychance of a vid for the blowback?

Why thank you...:blush:

an existing video :D

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~th7k-nktn/gun/...rbine/M2-01.MP4

-G

Edited by Guinness

Another bit of advice I realize is lacking from the review,

Remember, as with all Japanese gas guns, USE HFC134a- Propane and or Greengas is going to be to rough on these replicas long term. I know you will be tempted- but believe me it'll be worth it in longevity.

I used green gas for a few magazines, but it is so cold locally that the energy of green gas is greatly dissipated.

Here are a few more pictures of the M2 field stripped.

BoltCloseup2_med.png

Close up of the receiver with bolt locked back.

M1andM2Barrels1_med.png

The M2 Carbine barrel and receiver group is on top, the M1 Carbine is on bottom. Its hard to tell from this photo, but the M1 Carbines barrel is about 1/4 inch longer than the M2 Carbine.

Here is another tip to go along with the HFC134a gas warning-

Here are some pictures of the working parts of the M2 Carbine. While this is still obviously an Airsoft replica that cannot be made to chamber live ammo (duh) the operation is very similar to real steel and should be treated with the same respect and handling practices.

One in particular is the insertion and removal of the magazine. As shown in the photos, when the charging handle is pulled the gun is charged or 'cocked' in this configuration the firing pin is retracted and in the ready position. While you can insert the magazine now, you will still have to cycle the action to charge the weapon.

It is safe to insert or remove the M2 magazine at this time. :)

BoltClosedCocked_med.png

Bolt is closed, weapon is 'cocked' or armed- You should always consider this a danger position as it is not immediately apparent if there is a round in the chamber. ;)

The following photo shows the weapon in the safe position, with the bolt open, locked and no magazine inserted. It is easy to confirm if there may be an unfired round in the chamber in this configuration.

It is best to insert or remove a magazine in this position :D

BoltOpen3a_med.png

Bolt open and locked, weapon can be considered 'safe'

This photo shows the weapons firing pin configuration after 'dry firing'. The firing pin is exposed. Do Not insert or remove a magazine with the firing pin in this position as you can damage it.

It is BAD to insert the magazine now... :(

FiringPinWarning_med.png

Slainte!

-G

Edited by Guinness
Oh my dear god... Where did you buy yours from? I would like to know...

Also, all of this snow is INSANE.

Lol no doubt David :P

I live down in the 'Snow Belt', Parker- and we we supposed to get a 'dusting' last night right?

yeah...I'm looking at 2 inches right now out there <_<

But I actually like the snow. :D

Anyway- I got mine from UNCo before they raised their price from $288 to $315.

BTW- are you a COASG member?

-G

Edited by Guinness
Lol no doubt David  :P

I live down in the 'Snow Belt', Parker- and we we supposed to get a 'dusting' last night right?

yeah...I'm looking at 2 inches right now out there  <_<

But I actually like the snow. :D

Anyway- I got mine from UNCo before they raised their price from $288 to $315.

BTW- are you a COASG member?

-G

COASG?

Nope, I plan to make my first Airsoft purchase in a couple of months and that TM M1A1 is REALLY capturing my interests right about now.

I'll get all the AK's and Armalite copies after I get something original lol.

Yeah you guys were supposed to get a Dusting alright, we got 6 inches up here in the metro area(I live in Northglenn LOL) seriously love the snow too except for the fact that for the past 3 or 4 days I've been breaking and shoveling Ice.... Did it cause my dad told me to do it lol. Ahh being 16 is fun sometimes.

@ Guinness:

Will the parastock fit the M2 ?

Great question- I meant to add an addendum about this but worried that everybody had gotten quite bored with the M2 already :(

Anyway, I did take a look and compare when I had both of them out of their stocks for the pictures and the answer is Yes and No....... :P

Yes it will fit, but not without a lot of work :unsure:

For starters, as I pointed out in the review, the guns are distinctly different 'under the covers' and the area of the receiver for the fire select switch will take a lot of dremilling on the para stock to fit- as well the barrel bands and connect points are in different spots as you can kind of see in the photos.

Bottom line is yes, but its a project- the M1 did need some work on the repro para stock to fit, but not as much as the M2 will need sadly.

Slainte!

-G

I ordered the day they showed up on UNCo's website, and even though they are going out of business,* I paid $288 for the gun, $340 delivered. They have since raised the price to $315 for the gun.

Very happy with it- would have probably been happier to wait for the 'export' greengas version, but what the heck, So I'll have two :rolleyes:

Slainte!

-G

*"UNCo am closing!" reference #678,900 ! ;)

Edited by Guinness
  I ordered the day they showed up on UNCo's website, and even though they are going out of business,* I paid $288 for the gun, $340 delivered. They have since raised the price to $315 for the gun.

Very happy with it- would have probably been happier to wait for the 'export' greengas version, but what the heck, So I'll have two rolleyes.gif

Slainte!

-G

export version? I'm starting to get interested