Nationwide airsoft handgun ban United States

PILMAN

H.R.428

Title: To require the Consumer Product Safety Commission to ban toys which in size, shape, or overall appearance resemble real handguns.

Sponsor: Rep Towns, Edolphus [NY-10] (introduced 1/11/2007) Cosponsors (None)

Latest Major Action: 1/11/2007 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.00428:

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
######, where is that?

This is going to be very very difficult to fight, airsoft guns not being covered under the 2nd ammendment and I doubt the NRA is going to do anything about it. Most people are going to feel this is for the better. (The parents against toy guns). I don't think this will affect bb guns however.

It will probably die in committee.

If it doesn't die in committee it won't make it out of the House.

If it makes it out of the House, then we'll stop it dead in the Senate.

And, again, we're using replicae, not toys.

While it states specifically 18 years or older and says "This is not a toy" i'm curious if the bill will recognize that.

This is going to be very very difficult to fight, airsoft guns not being covered under the 2nd ammendment and I doubt the NRA is going to do anything about it. Most people are going to feel this is for the better. (The parents against toy guns). I don't think this will affect bb guns however.

Quickly reform the Airsoft Religion!!!

Oh *beep*!! First the UK now America!! Quick everyone!! TO IRELAND!! It'll probably get shot down in the legal process, so evilliboba, you can put the gun down now.....put it down..nice and easy..

On a more serious note...what are the realistic chances of this happening?

Hauk

I can't say i'm not surprised someone tried to write a bill up like this, theres been a LOT of increased crime with little punks taking these things to school to scare people. Unfortunately I have a really bad feeling this could possibly pass, i'm getting more information as I post.

It will probably die in committee.

If it doesn't die in committee it won't make it out of the House.

If it makes it out of the House, then we'll stop it dead in the Senate.

And, again, we're using replicae, not toys.

IIRC it was YOU that said that the dems were "Moderate", and wouldn't touch gun control.

So much for that eh..

####! there is no way in #### that bill should pass!

####### liberal ####### and there stupid ####### selves!

well, no nead to get riled up yet. since it is still in the beginning stages and there is only a tiny itty bitty chance it will pass.

if it does pass i'm rebelling :P

o, by the way, even if it does pass, wouldn't it be legal to keep them as long as you owned them before the ban?

"We"?

The Democrats will stop it?

I thought they were anti-gun and I thought they had a majority in the senate?

Stop generalizing.

IIRC it was YOU that said that the dems were "Moderate", and wouldn't touch gun control.

So much for that eh..

Look at how many Representatives co-sponsored it. Take a good look. Tell me how many co-sponsored it. I dare ya.

PS: I said gun control. Not toy gun control.

Stop generalizing.

Look at how many Representatives co-sponsored it. Take a good look. Tell me how many co-sponsored it. I dare ya.

PS: I said gun control. Not toy gun control.

Funny, they didn't just go after toys..

"The Child Gun Safety and Gun Access Prevention Act of 2007," H.R.256 ( http://tinyurl.com/3brx43 ) would raise the minimum age for the ownership of a semi-automatic rifle from 18 to 21. In addition, children under 18 attending a gun show must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Worse, it calls for fines and jailtime if a child gets a hold of your firearm and uses it to cause death or serious bodily injury, if you "recklessly disregarded the risk" that a child could access your firearm.

More ludricrous is H.R. 428 ( http://tinyurl.com/38k7mk ), entitled "To require the Consumer Product Safety Commission to ban toys which in size, shape, or overall appearance resemble real handguns." Yes, you read that right. The Democrats are pushing the banning of _toy_ guns, if they resemble real guns in size, shape OR overall appearance.

There's also "The NICS Improvement Act," H.R. 297 ( http://tinyurl.com/2q88lf ). NICS, of course, is the national firearms background checks for the public required by the Brady law. We'd like to tell you more about the bill, but weirdly, no information on it has been posted on the Thomas Locator site for Congressional legislation.

The most Draconian bill thus far, though, is "The Gun Show Loophole Closing Act of 2007," H.R. 96 ( http://tinyurl.com/2m8vmr ). This misleadingly-named bill -- a gun-hater's dream come true -- systematically destroys not just the Second Amendment but a number of your other rights as well.

Looks like my SKS and your M1a will become illegally possessed weapons soon enough.

Stop generalizing.

I'm not generalising. I'm asking questions. I thought the Democrats were, traditionally, anti-gun. I thought your average card-carrying NRA member was a Republican.

I also was under the impression that the Democrats had a majority in the senate.

Am I right or wrong? Please clarify. :)

It'll die. They touched real steel. I can already hear the NRA cavalry coming to the rescue. I can also hear the Dems chances in 2008 running like hell away.

the NRA makes compromises, and if you don't think your heroic "NRA" wont compromise airsoft out the window in favor of real steel. Well think again!

I'm not generalising. I'm asking questions. I thought the Democrats were, traditionally, anti-gun. I thought your average card-carrying NRA member was a Republican.

I also was under the impression that the Democrats had a majority in the senate.

Am I right or wrong? Please clarify. :)

Both.

Different Democrats have different views. While Eastern and Californian Dems toe the party line, Rocky Mountain Dems are completely different from one another. And they don't get along well with the E and C Dems, just as the RM GOP doesn't get along well with Bible Belt GOP.

In your defence against these bills, if it comes to it, you might like to point out that we gained a "specific defence" as airsofters in the UK under the Violent Crimes Reduction Act 2007; I would imagine that if the worst comes to the worst and the bills actually gets passed in both Houses, you get your representatives and Governors to insert such a defence, and thus virtual exemption, if an Airsofter is registered at his main playing site. Just a thought ;)

the NRA makes compromises, and if you don't think your heroic "NRA" wont compromise airsoft out the window in favor of real steel. Well think again!

Maybe I'm missing something, because it doesn't say 'airsoft' anywhere on that bill.

In your defence against these bills, if it comes to it, you might like to point out that we gained a "specific defence" as airsofters in the UK under the Violent Crimes Reduction Act 2007; I would imagine that if the worst comes to the worst and the bills actually gets passed in both Houses, you get your representatives and Governors to insert such a defence, and thus virtual exemption, if an Airsofter is registered at his main playing site. Just a thought ;)

We don't have concentration camps for airsofters here. Most airsofters don't have sites. That includes me and my entire team, as well as every team in Montana. Paintball sites seem to have short lives here, too, so it wouldn't work out very well.

Archived