Gas blowback dos and donts

Un_FriendlyFire

Well i got my Glock 19 today, having great fun just cocking it, probably fire it in a while buy anyway i digress :D cheered up my sick day very well either way :)

What are the dos and donts of maintenance and general use for GBBs? linkage to other articles telling me this will also help.

Also is it true dry firing GBBs (without a mag) is a bad thing? :waggle:

Dry firing any gas gun is a bad thing since it causes wear on the hammer and firing pin.

For maintenance you'll need to squirt silicon lube into the trigger mechanism, into the hammer mechanism, along the slide rails and into the recoil chamber in the slide. Beyond that, a quick squirt into the top of the mag and on the gas valve on the mag would be useful too.

We're not talking about huge squirts of lube so it's running down the side of the gun. Just a quick 1 second blat, once a week, onto those places will be plenty to keep it running smoothly.

I find that the recoil chamber is the first part to show signs of lack of lubrication, causing the blowback to be less crisp and slower.

Common philosophy, with Glock pistols, is to leave it cocked with the trigger forward.

Basically, you can't win with a Glock. If you pull the trigger you'll be relaxing the hammer spring but leaving the gun with the trigger spring under tension. Conversely, if you leave it cocked the trigger spring is relaxed but the hammer spring is under tension.

I usually store mine decocked, with the trigger back. I figure that if I'm going to stretch a spring it'll be easier to replace the trigger spring than the hammer spring.

The final bit of advice I have is this: DO NOT SAND THE PAINT OFF THE SLIDE.

You'll get the urge to do this once the paint starts to get scratched. Don't! ;)

You got a sort of key thing with it, right?

You jam it into the ejector port and crank it left or right, one click at a time.

If you don't have the tool you can whip the slide off and twiddle the hop-up with your fingers.

Personally, I prefer to adjust it with my fingers. The tool often slips and I don't like the idea of chewing up the edge of my outer barrel.

• 10 months later...

This may be a silly question.

But I have a KWS Glock 19 and I will fill it up with gas (Green) and it will only shoot a few rounds out of its mag before it runs out of gas.

Now the main part of the question is

1, How do you fill the gas, just in case I am doing it wrong, how long should it take? I hold the mag above the canister and press down for about a minute??

2, I had to force the slide on once when it stuck, had taken it off and it went on wrong. Could this be the problem.

3, Seen above about lubing the gun every week. Would this have an impact, its hard been used, but it has not been lubbed????

Thanks for your help and hope I do not seen to much of *noob* to help!!!!

Cheers

PB

planetbob99:

1. Turn the mag upside down, and put the cannister into it and push down. Fill it for a couple of seconds or wait till liquid starts to spurt out.

2. The slide on my G19 got stuck once and i had to give it a good beaten to get it off and mine still works good, so that mite not be the problem. Problem must be the way you gas the mag.

3. I really lube my gun and mine works like a gooden. But i suggest you lube it regularly.

I dry fire my gun all the time and now it's broken. It just isn't a good thing because pieces are moving. Glocks do better than other guns. (Mine's a Beretta Elite CQB) Cheers!

But I don't understand. Pieces are moving when you shoot it normally too. If it ends up cocked with with no more gas, is it better to just leave it, or take the chance and dry fire it?

It causes wear because of some resistance that is missing along with a BB, I don't know the full details.

This is just for dry-firing with gas, you can de-cock the gun by taking the magazine out and firing and that will be fine.

Some gas guns don't like to be dry-fired cos the rocket valve in the blowback chamber is under more stress than with a BB in.

Beyond that, even if it causes no "extra" damage it's still a waste of the guns life.

The gun might have a lifespan of 50,000 shots. If you spend all your time sitting on the couch and shooting the gun at TV baddies then you shouldn't be surprised when the gun seems to fail after "only a few" live shots during a skirmish.

Beyond that, there's a significant safety risk. If you never dry-fire a gun then you will never have an accidental discharge. If you regularly dry-fire a gun then you massively increase the odd of accidentally shooting yourself or somebody else.

Even doing this with a BB gun is not smart.

Mrs Sid doesn't like guns but actually enjoys shooting my airsoft guns when she gets a chance. The othe day however, she picked up my P90 and, messing around, pulled the trigger while pointing it at me. She freaked out when it fired. It's a real wake-up-call when you think that it could, in other circumstances, been a real gun with live bullets.

New paragraph, for the above...

If you're having problems removing or reinstalling the slide on your Glock, grab the protruding end of your recoil guide rod and pull it out. This will unhook it from its resting place in front of your feed ramp and is, I find, the usual hangup in fitting the slide. After the slide is on (or off) let go of it slowly and it'll seat itself in the right place.

I drove myself up the wall with my G26's before I figured that out. My G18 isn't as bad.

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hey, i've had a g23f for a while now and have used it and lubed it regualy but the magazine has started leaking at the bottom where you put the gas in.

I was wondering if there is a cheaper way of fixing it rather than buying a new mag

thanks

Archived