ACOG or Aimpoint?

gilla409

I've started my m4 project, and i definately wanna get a 30mm red dot sight, but i can't decide between an ACOG or Aimpoint replica. Both are within my price range, so that's not an issue.

For information's sake, my m4 will consist of...

G&P Seal type reciever

CVAS front end

Flip up front/rear sights

Standard LE stock (possibly a crane stock upgrade later on.)

So which is better functionally (quick target aquisition,) and which just looks better on this style m4?

Im assuming you mean CASV, not CVAS!

It depends what you want the gun to be used for and whether you will be replicating a real life model, or just doing what you want to do with it. If you are going to be going for a more CQB loadout, then a Aimpoint replica would be better suited, whereas a ACOG would be better off as a woodland type of scope - even if it does not have magnification and is just a red dot, it would fit in more with the theme.

Also bear in mind that because the Acog sits quite high anyway, mounted on top of the CASV top rail, it does boost it quite high, whereas an aimpoint on a low L mount will still be the 'correct' height to work in conjunction with your Iron Sights.

If you want pics of Acog mounted on it I can post some of mine. There are also some around of other peoples with Aimpoints which I could point you to.

Haha, yes, I meant a CASV, I was almost asleep when I started this thread. I noticed that the ACOG would sit pretty high on the top rail as well, but wasn't sure if it would be too high or not, so thanks for clearing that up. Looking at your setup, I see that an ACOG wouldn't work too well with the ironsights, it's a shame there's not a low mount option on them.

I'm planning on running a woodland loadout, but also trying to keep my rifle small enough to work out in CQB as well, so i'm starting to think maybe an aimpoint will work best. Either that, or go with a different RAS...which would pretty much bring me back to square one as far as how my m4 will be setup.

Decisions, decisions.

I just looked at mremerica's m4 in the armalite thread......

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...dpost&p=1155801

The ACOG is too high with a CASV front set. Like I said, if there was a low mount for it, everything would line up fine. Unfortunately, I haven't seen or heard of any low ACOG mounts, and if they exist, they're probably for the rs and SUPER expensive.

I'm starting to re-think my decision on that particular front set now, but with any other RAS front end I would need a battery pouch or crane stock.

I hate to make a thread like this, but I'm really having trouble figuring out how to go about this project. I'm trying to make my rifle look as close to a real special forces m4, but keep it reasonably priced.

At this point I'm open to suggestions, maybe simply discussing my options can help me decide on what to do.

Yeah i am myself going for an aimpoint on a lowmount, so the red-dot and Iron sights will co-witness.

There are a couple of pics in the armalite thread with aimpoints on, I hope the owners dont mind me linking to them:

ZackyD's CASV with aimpoint replica.

Deus204's CASV with low aimpoint mount

Black Knight's CASV with low mount.

If you are hell-bent on getting an ACOG - I know I was, I brought mine before I got my CASV, then they look really nice on MRE systems:

chill62sr.jpg

(photo from www.militarymorons.com)

Coupled with a 14.5in barrel and MRE you would have an ideal wood-land rifle. You could go with a Crane stock with that, or a PEQ housing a battery.

I love Armalites, so many variations :)

Yeah i am myself going for an aimpoint on a lowmount, so the red-dot and Iron sights will co-witness.

Coupled with a 14.5in barrel and MRE you would have an ideal wood-land rifle. You could go with a Crane stock with that, or a PEQ housing a battery.

I love Armalites, so many variations  :)

Wow, thanks for all the information, that actually helps a lot!

I'm thinking I'll stick with the CASV front and use an Aimpoint instead of the ACOG. I really prefer the looks of an ACOG, but it just seems more practical to use an aimpoint in my situation.

The MRE kit really isn't quite what i'm looking for, as I would like to keep my rifle as versatile as possible. Once I save enough cash, I'll get a smaller AEG to use as a cqb weapon, and then extend my m4 to use in woodland primarily. In the meantime, it's just not practical..... I have no airsoft sites, and would be playing with friends, wherever we can (keeping hidden and legal, of course.)

So, I guess I'll stick with a CASV front set and use an Aimpoint, as that really seems to be the most realistic and multi-functional rifle.

Thanks again for all the help, it is much appreciated.

In my opinion, Aimpoints only look good on M4s if they're on a low mount on top of the carry handle, Blackhawk Down style.

But ACOGs look really nice on a flat-top M4, but only if the under area below the eyelet is filled with a flip up BUIS (like Mremerica's is).

In my opinion, Aimpoints only look good on M4s if they're on a low mount on top of the carry handle, Blackhawk Down style.

But ACOGs look really nice on a flat-top M4, but only if the under area below the eyelet is filled with a flip up BUIS (like Mremerica's is).

Really must get round to getting a BUIS one day!

Sam

So you're saying, that an ACOG looks better on a flat top m4 (like with a casv ras,) even though the dot isn't going to be lined up with the flip up sights? From what I can tell, it looks like the iron sights are completely covered by the ACOG mount, rendering them useless unless the ACOG is removed. Then again, wouldn't an Aimpoint on the carry handle also make the irons useless too?

I don't know, maybe it looks better, but it doesn't sound like a very versatile aiming system. Idealy, I'd want to see my flip up sights through the RDS, so I could simply flip them down in CQB environments. Most Aimpoint and ACOG replicas are non-magnifying, so why not have everything line up?

I definately prefer the looks of the ACOG, but for it to be practical, I'd need a free float RIS front, or some other seperate RIS foregrip. Thing is, with that, I'd also have to purchase a crane stock, or an ugly battery pouch. With a CASV RAS setup, i can use a 9.6v 1100mah pack in the foregrip, and still use my LE style stock.

Unless there's a seperate RIS foregrip that is realistic and has battery space, there's not a lot of options that are reasonably priced.

I think what madcat meant was Acog on the flat top of just the reciever, not on top of the 'riser' that the CASV gives.

Definitly get a flip-up BUIS if you are going with CASV, it looks empty without it at the back. I will try and take a few more pics showing how they all line up later on when Im home for you if you like.

But CASV is a good choice, certainly a unique look :) Beats an S-system hands down!

*you cant flame me Im wearing nomex!*

ACOGs are cack.

Aimpoints are classic.

Get the Aimpoint.

wow. im blown away by the pure, utter sophistication of this reply. :rolleyes:

ive just got a second hand ACOG. well i dont actually have it yet. its the red dot type, and as with you, it was between an aimpoint and acog. im putting this on a long version XM8 im using in woodland, and the ACOG will look far superior on this gun than an aimpoint.

Righteo, here are some pictures of how they co-witness - or don't in this case.

Usually I have the ACOG mounted further back so the BUIS doesn't flip up. But in this case when mvoed forwards you can see that they are no way level.

146679559ro.jpg

I can't even see the front sight post through it

200856759ir.jpg

Shame, it looks nice though :unsure:

100td.jpg

Hope it helps, you have convinced me to get off my *albartroth* and get an Aimpoint replica anyway ;)

That makes sense, but without magnification, if the RDS fails then I could simply flip up the BUIS, without removing the RDS.

Maybe not the most realistic to RS approach, but it seems to be the most practical in airsoft.

Actually, that's perfectly realistic. IRL, most operators want their sights to co-witness for the exact reason you mentioned. Some even consider it a sign of an inexpirienced soldier/sailor/Marine if they don't what their optics co-witnessing their BUIS and they don't have their BUIS engaged (they also are not fans of folding BUIS for that reason).

One big problem with having an Aimpoint or an ACOG mounted on the carry handle is that you have no cheek weld with the stock. It's better to have a good cheek weld than none, because it's more comfortable and it's faster to aim because you aren't trying to find the dot in your optic.

Archived