Making your own terrain

LordJWA

Ok, thought I'd post something to do with terrain and shiz up so here it is.

If you or your friends live somewhere with a good bit of land and a wood or something then thats a perfect starting point, next is materials, large sheets of wood, metal, big barrels, pallets, planks of wood, anything and everything, use your imagination, I'd do this on my land but my parents wouldn't be too pleased if the animals got caught in the crossfire. For relatively cheap/free stuff your friends, (for any old junk or getting rid of old furnature etc) skips and dumpsites are great, the wood and metal etc don't have to be in good nick either. With some time, team work and elbow grease you'll have a good place for games when you all get together and other teams near where you are when you can meat them.

Buildings are pretty simple, don't need to be intricate or detailed, not even a roof, 4 walls and 2 holes for a door and window, treehouses and towers would be an interesting project to do aswell.

Barracades etc. are simple, a few pallets and some wood to shove em in the ground and done, those steel drums are good, just whatever really, old wardrobes you're throwing out, tables, doors, bench tops, etc

You can go a long way with a good idea :D

JA

I personally love trenches, I mean, proper deep trenches with cooriagated iron on each side. I went to this WW1 thing in belguim years and years back adn there were trenches that would be perfect for airsofting.

Its always great having two teams firing at eachother from like 4 metres way, both in trenches ^_^

I personally love trenches, I mean, proper deep trenches with cooriagated iron on each side. I went to this WW1 thing in belguim years and years back adn there were trenches that would be perfect for airsofting.

Its always great having two teams firing at eachother from like 4 metres way, both in trenches ^_^

well they would be :) they were made for real war...

also the thought of someone playfighting where millions died disgusts me...

Me and some freinds had made a base up in some privatly owned woods. We started with by digging a fairly large hole in the ground, then we found lots of materials and put them up around the edges, like large sheets of wood, old horse jumps coverd in furns, and other barricade type things. We then dug little mini trenches leading into foxholes with old tractor tires ontop. We then build a watch tower/tree hosue thing which was very cool, it had corrigated iron all around the sides and it was great fun shooting out of it. It was a great base, we even dug in chairs into the side of the base :P .

^^ Cool

I just thought about tunnels and how to make some, these would be pretty easy and would require little work instead of making a huge tunnel, this is just something to crawel under or camp, not really a tunnel, anyways, those curved metal sheetings you find on old bomb shelters, use those, or other curved sheets of metal big enough to fit 1 or 2 people under it, you could probably dig a hole for the sheets to give a better 'feel' to it, once youve got your metal sheeting the way you want throw some dirt, branches, turf over it to make it blend in, it would probably be better to have this above ground to avoid being waterlogged too much, if it get really muddy under the tunnel thing, use some planks of wood to rest on, preferably without nails and screws sticking out :)

I found this on You Tube yonks ago and have often thought the basic style of layout would be pretty good for a site plan. The virtual video has it spread over a large area but it could also be implemented into a smaller sized area. In fact you could probably get the whole thing into your average sized field (although what is classed as an average size, if you excuse the pun?)

I think that long street CQB system is really cool.

also the thought of someone playfighting where millions died disgusts me...

why?

Think about what your saying before you post. Ive played on a stone age settlers fort (ie a local chalk hill), im sure quite alot of people died there too, does this disgust you too?

The place Sp' is describing is probably hill 62 in Ypres, they sometimes do reenactment there maybe you should go and protest?

I really wish I had the time and materials to make a complex trench system. That would be a LOT of fun.

I was bored one day along time ago and with a 3D CAD program I managed to come up with the following fortifications for sites "On a Budget"

First up

The Trenches

Materials:

Shipping Pallet (Broken prefered)

1 roughly 2"x4"x8' board (Those are inches inches and feet :D sorry)

Cardboard

3" Screws

trenchpart.jpg

Assemble them together and you can make what ever you want but here is what I came up with.

trenches.jpg

Assuming Shipping Pallets are 4 feet square these sit about 3.5 feet tall. With minimal digging you could be able to make them far deaper. The Cardboard is to cover them so that it looks like a trench. It also kinda acts like a semi permiable cover.

The Fort:

Materials:

A lot of Lumber

Bolts

Nuts (For the bolts, no jokes please)

Cardboard

Corners:

shortfortpart.jpg

Middle parts:

longfortpart.jpg

Assembled:

fullfort.jpg

The Idea was to make the tops and bottoms of the different parts first then make the legs and supports. It was to make a portable fort that could be dissassembled after a game. Its covered in Cardboard, again, to make a semi permiable wall that could almost realistically be shot through :) The top part would require a ladder to get to and probably some railings but thats where improvising comes in :D This structure is 28 feet square!!!!

These Ideas arnt new but they are my CAD drawings and I'd appreciate it if they stayed that way, if you'd like to use em on a different forum just ask please :)

Obviously the Fort is far more expensive then the Trenches but it is something that could be a fun project in the future :D

You'd need to be real careful about the fort thing if you have paying customers - as it'll need to be fully risk assessed.

Also - if your employees are to go on top - they need to be trained to "Work at Height"

Nice ideas for stuff guys.

CC

Yeah you should check that those structures are ok for people pounding along them in full battle dress ;)

The floor panels would need to be fairly chunky and moisture resistant so you don't go through them!

Some thick WBP would probably be fine, and some cross-members on longer pieces so they don't sag too much.

I'd love a trench system or some spooky tunnels...Half Life 2 style :P

Might make a good Vietnam type game...Tunnel Rats etc.

Though it probably requires several days with a JCB...or lots of Bangalore torpedoes ;)

You'd need to be real careful about the fort thing if you have paying customers - as it'll need to be fully risk assessed.

Also - if your employees are to go on top - they need to be trained to "Work at Height"

Nice ideas for stuff guys.

CC

Yeah it was designed with 3/4" plywood and 2x4 cross members. We use stuff like this on our theater all the time with thinner stuff then these :P Like its been stated its gotta have railings however if you just dont let people up there in the first place its avoidable :)

They were designed not to be left in one place (it was designed for my team's games where we play on public land (read, excluded public land w/ permission etc)) so it could be transported. Obviously you wouldtn leave the Cardboard out in the moisture as that would be nasty but its amazing how "realistic" it can be for airsoft purposes. I contemplated making a single story house outa lots of cardboard strung between standing poles painted to look like a house but kinda over ruled that as it would be, incredibly risky and not worth painting :P

Thanks for the reps guys!

Ah - you made it already?

Cool.

CC

We havent made these specifically no, but in High School for our plays we used 12 foot tall platforms (As we call em) which have the same design as this. Our platforms are made with half as many cross members (an 8 foot section only has 2 cross members in the center then the 2 end peices) as apposed to the 4 in this design. We also use thinner plywood. With the proper supports these are incredibly stable and relatively easy to assemble and disassemble. Making a fresh platform w/ 6 foot legs takes me and another person about 30 minutes to make from the very beginning.

We use platforms for our one acts as well and the bolts we use are standard bolts and they hold up equally as well. Assembly time, 5 minutes tops :)

Another Peice of Terrain

SAM Site:

Materials:

Wood

Bolts

PVC

Glue

Launcher:

SAMLAUNCHER.jpg

The Missile:

SAMMISSILE.jpg

Together:

SAMSITE.jpg

This is about 5 feet tall, the missile is about 6 feet long. Simple to make. I'm working on getting the program back from my school to work on my Idea for a field gun. Please ignore the square "Warhead" as making cones in the program I'm using is very difficult and time consuming (Solidworks for those who care)

Woah, kick *albatross* ideas mate :D great stuff! I just thought of a game you could play with big cardboard boxes :) in a large, indoor setting, each player would have a cardboard box in which they hide in but are also able to move about, and then, there would be just loads of empty carboard boxes, it'd be pretty confusing, make sure the boxes are strong enough to withstand a few shots from a hail of bbs though ;) The idea would be to blow the opponents box to pieces and shoot the snot out of him :D

yeah i love this topic

my dad has a field and we have spent the last year or so turning it into something fun to play on

first picture is a bunker we just made out of four wooden posts and a few sheets of metal and sandbags we brought off flectarn.co.uk

and the last two are a hut we made using the same idea as shown above but we used loads of wood wish was like 3 quid a sheet and then extended it using metal sheeting

it works really well for us and we have covered it in biohazard signs just for fun and it looks the part

hope it helps

post-20024-1171745157_thumb.jpg

post-20024-1171745196_thumb.jpg

post-20024-1171745226_thumb.jpg

wow those are really good pieces, love the bio hazard signs :), I have quite a bit of land, I'd say roughly 4 acres, inc. an acre ish pond and an acre woodland with lots of hills. It would be great for airsoft, but theres a few problems...

1. When we bought the land the clause said basically 'No Guns'

2. We have quite a few animals and I doubt my parents would want me and some friends going around shooting each other with non-degradable plastic pellets that could choke the animals if they're stupid enough to eat them and get shot in the crossfire.

Anyways...

We're halfway through building a treehouse, there's the bottom half which is completely covered in slab ends and is nicely sheltered and the top half which is just bare but we have a floor to walk on, some elbow grease and wood would make it complete, also we have a sort of brick shelter thing, about a meter and a half tall and a few meters wide, thats pretty much it for the buildings but we could make a whole load more and have like a lil wooden village thing lol :D

that sounds a tad annoying but as for animals, there shouldnt be a problem cause we play in a horse field and unless there are billions of bbs they all usually disapear into the ground after a tiny drop of rain and thje horse ahs never got ill or anything when it does go into the field.

Archived