CA - SCAR-L Hands On Review @ AEX

orca

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
never trust the reliability of a retailers reviews guys.

Agreed. AEX also stated on their review of the G&G UMP that the gun sported metal bushings, this is false as I bought one from them after reading their review.

This however caught my attention, I don't know much about gearbox mechanics so I was hoping someone could verify this...

"Performance

...With bearing bushings, there is little to no resistance. Therefore, even though the gun uses a mere mini-type battery (up to 9.6V), one does not need to be as concerned with battery life with most commonly accepted power upgrades."

"Performance

...With bearing bushings, there is little to no resistance. Therefore, even though the gun uses a mere mini-type battery (up to 9.6V), one does not need to be as concerned with battery life with most commonly accepted power upgrades."

I'm getting mixed messages from the review as to what mini battery (either an 8.4 or a 9.6) to use. I'd wouldn't mind only going up to 330 fps with .20 with a modest ROF, so long as I can get at least 800 shots out of a 8.4v mini.

That's why I'd carry two minis along!

Sounds good but like someone pointed out, it is a retailer they are hardly likely to say ooh this is merde. I think I will keep hoping for a black version in cqc length with the new style of flash hider which I believe is becoming standard on the RS as it allows a QD suppressor see pics below.

Yes I know one pic is of the H version but under the suppressor on the L is the same Flash hider :nosleep:

post-33383-1171754422_thumb.jpg

post-33383-1171754561_thumb.jpg

never trust the reliability of a retailers reviews guys.

I'm really not too sure it's fair to group all retailer reviews together as such.

AEX has posted only a few reviews, and each of them were to show products in pre-public release, all the way down to the inner workings of the gearbox. They also focused on first gen products not yet seen before, so the reviews, no matter how they were focused towards AEX's marketing, are pretty much only stating facts and what can be read off of chronographs or multimeters.

Sounds good but like someone pointed out, it is a retailer they are hardly likely to say ooh this is merde.

In AEX's case, yes they have told me when somethign has been "merde" in the past, even when it's a product they sell. A few years ago AEX dropped the entire ICS / Airsoft Elite line of AEG's for sales or service due to poor quality issues. On AEX's end, with their 45 day warranty, they cannot afford to sell products that are poor quality.

Anyway just a little defense for AEX's review. I personally appreciate the time they took in making the review. The fact they hustled and posted it pre-release. The fact they stripped down this AEG more then I've ever stripped down any I own And even reported some numbers on a stock and upgraded spring. I hope they get more sales due to this review for the effort they put into it.

If you don't like any part of the review don't buy the gun. As far as people not liking the color... That's the US military's fault for specing it. Don't like the stock, That's FN's Fault. CA just made a replica.

I was down at our local AEX yesterday and the guy there said theyd have them in somewhere at the end of february. I believe they are also up for preorder now...

End of February!?! :o !!? MUCH earlier than I anticipated. Better pre-order one now so I can get it asap!

*Bank account cries*

Edit: Might as well ask here, CA's site says the SCAR has an inner barrel that is 384mm long. As I'm aware, no one makes a tightbore that length, correct?

I don't see the battery capacity as being a problem unless you're counting on volume of fire to solve your problems. At which point, seeing as it's a V2 gearbox, simply get the CA M16 wiring harness (the one that leads to the forend) and use a large battery inside an AN/PEQ-2 battery box.

The way I read the review, using a 9.6V battery is not reccomended if you keep the stock spring in place. Look at the rates of fire. With a stock spring the SCAR put out 800 rounds per minute using a 8.4V battery and 1000+ using a 9.6V. The latter corresponds to a operating speed within the gearbox that will damage components, and the review states that. With the M120 spring the rate of fire was reduced, which would slow down the speed at which the gearbox internals operate. Rounds per minute with the M120/9.6V combination were equal to what the gun put out using the stock spring and an 8.4V battery.

Tan...tan is the rage. Black was in in the 90s, and is now definitely out. Fashion (and the desire not to be shot in the middle of your ultra-cool black vest) dictate that all hip operators get a new wardrobe. Besides, how else will all the companies that make gear stay in business?

Personally, having played with both a black weapon and a dark OD vest over desert cammies, I'm quite familiar with the tendency of black (or at least unusually dark) objects to attract fire. I figure I can live with a tan gun.

-Chris

I don't see the battery capacity as being a problem unless you're counting on volume of fire to solve your problems.  At which point, seeing as it's a V2 gearbox, simply get the CA M16 wiring harness (the one that leads to the forend) and use a large battery inside an AN/PEQ-2 battery box.  

The way I read the review, using a 9.6V battery is not reccomended if you keep the stock spring in place.  Look at the rates of fire.  With a stock spring the SCAR put out 800 rounds per minute using a 8.4V battery and 1000+ using a 9.6V.  The latter corresponds to a operating speed within the gearbox that will damage components, and the review states that.  With the M120 spring the rate of fire was reduced, which would slow down the speed at which the gearbox internals operate.  Rounds per minute with the M120/9.6V combination were equal to what the gun put out using the stock spring and an 8.4V battery.  

But if you use a peq box you'll have unsightly wires sticking out of your lovely new SCAR!! JKS

Honestly, I'd be shocked if this couldn't run 9.6 reliably. 1000 rpm in an AEG is really not that much, my stock TM AUG worked for over 5 years on nylon bushings at about 1050rpm before it broke a gear and my ICS has been going for about 3 years without a hitch. I think it's just the retailer making excuses for not being able to fit a 9.6v by saying that it's not recommended.

Just my 2 pence

Archived