Sig P226 Grips - A True Story

PenGun

So I'm happy. My Sig wears actual official SIG-Sauer P226 grips now :)

I can just see Jack Bauer smiling down on me from a CTU helicopter...

Because as my fellow Sig-philes may recall for the last few months I have tried in vain to replace the grips on my TM P226 with something a little less shiney plastic, a little more "grippy".

Ordered rubber Hogues...Dremelled them for 3 frustrating hours...no joy

Ordered P226 Factory stocks...ended up with P220 ones instead

*Sound of head banging off wall*

Ordered Hogue HandAll sleeve...close but no cigar. Horrific shiny plastic is still visible and irritates me even more :(

This little beauty improved the handling substantially (despite having small-ish hands I can use a Sig or Beretta very easily thank you)

It now resides on a WA 1911, as it conveniently disengages the grip safety :P

They are well worth the $9.95 or so! They fit just about everthing (including my MP7!)

Ordered Sig P226 factory grips from Brownells (again <_< ) after they've been Out of Stock for months

(BTW Sigarms don't ship internationally so that wasn't an option :( )

The easiest way to get them to fit is to also order a replacement mainspring seat for the real Sig.

This is a small $5 piece of polymer that is far slimmer than the bit lump of metal Marui stuck into the backstrap to add weight (it fits the same lugs on the rear frame)

If you have a metal framed gun, it doesnt affect handling too much at all really!

If anything the balance is more realistic IMHO.

All that is required is to a) trim the screw holes a little (with a knife etc.) so they fit onto the Marui-spec screw-holes, and then

b.) drill a little hole in the mainspring seat so the hammer strut can pass down through it (it seems to move more than the real version...). Its dead easy!

The new mainspring seat is slightly longer so it compresses the hammer spring a bit more, which equates to a few extra fps...YAYYYY!!! Its all good!

Thus you can now easily fit both factory and Marui grips onto the gun :)

All without almost developing emphezyma from Dremelling/inhaling/eating/ingesting rubber, getting burns from hot plastic, destroying expensive Dremel sanding bits, making an horrific mess, and God knows what else...

Or ending up with heavy metal poisoning from grinding down Marui's weighty lump of uranium.

I'll be trying to track down a HK muzzle weight for my USP now, and maybe some extended baseplates too...watch this space!

Hope this is of help to one or two frustrated Sig fans out there ;)

P.S. I'm sure some 24 fanatic will use the polymer seating to make a mould and build a metal version but that was way too much effort :P

Sounds good, do you have any pics of the replacement mainspring seat and the grips you have fitted currently.

I have got some Hogue wrap around grips on mine atm but there is a space between the two halves of the grips currently due to needed a tiny bit more dremelling but i cannot be arsed to do it, so getting the replacement mainspring seat sounds like an easier option.

Yeah sure I'll post them later on.

Just waiting for batteries to charge for my camera ;)

The factory grips fit absolutely perfectly when I replaced the mainspring seat :)

It seems pretty tough too. I'm assuming a plastic component good enough for a real SIG will be good enough for airsoft :P

Edit: Actually Smurf that reminds me...I had the Hogues fitting really well except for the gap at the hammer spring area.

I was worried that might allow a lot of dirt etc. in and might jam up the hammer strut etc.

So I dremelled them some more and they still didnt fit right even after removing so much material the backstrap lost its strength :(

I think somebody did get them to fit eventually...who was it??? :huh:

Here are some pics I promised.

Final result with the yucky ones on the right <_<

View of the old vs. new mainspring seats. The difference in size is readily apparent by looking at the lugs that fit into the frame ;)

The SIG-Sauer part is much more compact...

post-1942-1172000985_thumb.jpg

A photo I took that pretty much sums up the difference in finish.

I couldn't even make the real SIG grips look shiney with the flash :P

New factory grips on left, Marui ones on right...

:)

I'm sure you've spent a whole lot of time fitting those but, what prevented you from just lightly sanding (>200 grit) the surface of the TM panels to make them matte?

The fact that having matte grips was not the point. Having real steel grips was. We are, after all, airsofters. :)

Well done PenGun, and a good hint about using the RS mainspring housing as well.

-Sale

Thanks for the link. Just about to order a couple of mainspring seats and a set of factory grips while I am at it. :)

What shipping method did you use and how much did it cost, as it just states TBD and you give them payment details before they give you a total cost.

The fact that having matte grips was not the point. Having real steel grips was. We are, after all, airsofters. :)

Well done PenGun, and a good hint about using the RS mainspring housing as well.

-Sale

You are most welcome Sale.

And you hit the nail on the head...REAL grips for teh win :P

I've been offline for a few days so davedawg beat me to it on the link ;) , good work mate!

I'm seriously considering Nill grips now...hmmmm walnut... :D

I'm sure you've spent a whole lot of time fitting those but, what prevented you from just lightly sanding (>200 grit) the surface of the TM panels to make them matte? The wood panels seem to be more worth the effort.

Cos if I made a balls of it I'd be stuck with scratched shiney grips! :o

It only took about 30min to fit them anyway and that was taking my time to do it right.

Plus the material SIG use is matte to start with and far more abrasive or "grippy" :D

I really wanted the older checkered panels but they are pretty rare now (they stopped making them in 1996 or so...)

I'd be temped to track down a set of wooden Blackwater grips but they are limited edition so they might cost a lot more.

I'm going to check how much Nill grips are and get them if they work out less than walnut Hogues once shipping etc. is factored in.

I'm sticking with the real deal for the moment though! ;)

Also, for those interested in Hogue wraparounds (which are old style IIRC), there may be further modding necessary as old style grips will not work with new style P226s without modification in real steel (which the TM is modeled after).

I know it's not milsim, but I want a pair of these.

Cos if I made a balls of it I'd be stuck with scratched shiney grips!  :o

It only took about 30min to fit them anyway and that was taking my time to do it right.

Plus the material SIG use is matte to start with and far more abrasive or "grippy"  :D

I really wanted the older checkered panels but they are pretty rare now (they stopped making them in 1996 or so...)

I'd be temped to track down a set of wooden Blackwater grips but they are limited edition so they might cost a lot more.

I'm going to check how much Nill grips are and get them if they work out less than walnut Hogues once shipping etc. is factored in.

I'm sticking with the real deal for the moment though!  ;)

I don't know that those older grips would fit anyways.

The reason why SIG went to this style of grips (from my readings) was that there was an issue with the decocker? system.. wearing away the inside of the old grips.. ... they were failing... and something else then failed in response to that.

I suspect that IF you were to get the old grips, that you would need to make quite a few adjustments to them (grips).

I was going to make a Bauer P226, but I think i'll go for one of these but with polished controls, anyone know if you can get these grips on thier own?

226sasleftku1.jpg

Notice that is the Sig P226 DAK - Double action only, so the decocker is missing. The grips shown there have no slot for the decocker to run along.

PenGun: Where would you recommend getting the grips and the mainspring seat from? And is it necessary to modify the mainspring seat?

I love the look, it looks so much better! :D I have two P226's that need some real steel quality on them... Can I order them into the UK though? :mellow:

Cheers for the awesome mod idea PenGun :D

You can get the mainspring seats and the real steel plastic grips from www.brownells.com.

By the sounds it looks like modification of the mainseats is needed. I have some on the way to me so will clarify that when they arrive.

You will not have any problems importing these items into the UK, also the P&P to the UK from Brownells is $30.

Also, for those interested in Hogue wraparounds (which are old style IIRC), there may be further modding necessary as old style grips will not work with new style P226s without modification in real steel (which the TM is modeled after).

I know it's not milsim, but I want a pair of these.

Where are they from? Just right for my Silver PGC.

You can get the mainspring seats and the real steel plastic grips from www.brownells.com.

By the sounds it looks like modification of the mainseats is needed. I have some on the way to me so will clarify that when they arrive.

You will not have any problems importing these items into the UK, also the P&P to the UK from Brownells is $30.

Thanks for the info Smurf :) That's great news! Good luck with your grips, and send me an update if you can ;)

HellsAngel

HitmanNo2, any luck finding the grips? They dont make a wood style Sig Sauer grip for any other model than the double action only pieces? I had checked ebay and only came up with the factory black or rubber Hogue types.

they real steel, but i'm sure you can make em fit!!!

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/Pro...c+Wood%2c+Hogue

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/Pro...TO+WALNUT+GRIPS

hope this helps!!!

Archived