Haley Strategic on airsoft

Billy Bob the Sniper

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a great video. I can't tell you how many times I've been ragged on by RS shooters simply because I train with an airsoft pistol/rifle at home. Some of these guys simply do not understand that the fundamentals of shooting apply to ANY gun, airsoft, real steel, pellet gun, or whatever. Nor do they seem to understand that 6mm BBs are a hell of a lot cheaper than 5.56 or 7.62., or that getting to and from a range (which tend to be many miles outside of cities due to noise restrictions unless it's indoors) can be a huge hassle.

I saw this video earlier today, and I've gotta say my jaw just hit the floor watching it. Totally blown away that he did this. A few months ago I had heard that Travis was experimenting with airsoft, but in what capacity I didn't know. I'm not surprised that he had incorporated it in this matter. What I am surprised by is the fact that being pretty high profile he went on the record to state all this, and spoke in a context that is relatable to RS shooters, be it civvie, LE or MIL. Furthermore, he tackled a subject that is generally considered taboo or at the very least looked down upon in the RS community.

I've met Travis several times. I've been instructed by him in multiple firearms courses over the last two years. I absolutely did not see this coming. I'll say that I'm pleasantly surprised by this. Kudos to the man. This is good for our sport/hobby. At the very least, it'll garner a better understanding in the RS community for what airsoft is, what it can be, it's possible value, and perhaps a little respect.

I guess it's different in the UK as we have FAR less variety of RS firearms at our disposal, and the "interesting" stuff available to us is a hassle to attain legally.

Therefore, I have always been oblivious to what the RS community thinks of Airsoft, and from what I've read, most of it was negative anyway.

As a respected figure in his field of work, he could have stayed quite, but, bravo to Mr Haley for standing up and stating what we've known for so long.

It is amazing to see a respected shooter like Travis endorsing airsoft guns as training tools. Friends of mine and myself have been using them as training weapons for some time now but always felt a stigma for doing so as most (especially some operators I know) consider them to be toys and not worth the use. I've always figured that my airsoft weapons (gas) replicated my real weapons enough that it could help in aiding the locking in of muscle memory. It also helps with force on force training when you dont want to spend around a dollar a round for simulations!.

Come to think of it, wonder if Haley knows about GBBR's? Maybe those would be even better training tools, albeit more expensive.

Haley seems to know more about airsoft than you might think. I've been one of the biggest proponents of GBBR's for practical training since the start - But even I opted for the TM SCAR over a gas powered version for the same reasons that posters above have mentioned. I'm sure Travis is aware of gas rifles but came to the same conclusion.

Archived