GBB + madbull PORTABLE ADJUSTABLE CO2 CHARGER

Jihad-Joe

http://www.madbullairsoft.com/English/inde...&products_id=53

Recently I tried out the Madbull PORTABLE ADJUSTABLE CO2 CHARGER.

I filled up the mag of my KSC USP .45 with some CO2 on 300 psi. Then I slammed the mag in my USP, racked the slide, pulled the trigger....

..click..

nothing!

I removed the magazine and tried to manually push on the gas valve button. I noticed that the button was very hard to push. Compared to the same magazine filled with green gas, it was a lot harder.

Second try..

I lowered the pressure to 200 psi. This time I was able to take off 5-6 shots, after that the CO2 gas was empty. I noticed the blow-back was extremely hard.

Later on a friend of mine tried the same adjustments with a KSC Glock 17. It resulted in the same effects. This was all tested in a temperature environment of 15 degrees Celsius.

Now I understand why this portable adjustable CO2 charger doesn't work well with GBB's, which is basically the fundamentals of gasguns.

In order to have enough gas for the amount of bb's, the gas has to be very liquid. Liquid CO2 has much more pressure than liquid greengas (propane). The lower the CO2 pressure, the less liquid CO2 is, the less shots you can make.

May be this will work in much colder temperatures around the 0 degrees Celsius. The CO2 would probably be much colder, which results in being able to put more liquid CO2 in the GBB magazines and being able to shoot more shots.

Erm.

As far as I know, you don't get ANY liquid CO2 going into a mag unless the pressure is something stupidly high - that's why you only get a couple of shots.

There was a whole thing done as to why this wouldn't work... Either sale or stealth, can't remember who, but one of them did a rather natty explanation as to why it wouldn't work.

So you had to be really dumb, did you? You're lucky to have tried a low enough setting at first. There's no playing with high pressure gases and tanks that aren't designed to handle the pressure.

If the pressure of CO2 is below 800 psi in room temperature, there won't be any liquid in the magazine. That's why you only got off a few shots. When you increase the pressure, you're entering into the field where Darwin Awards candidates are made.

-Sale

Sale's right.

I think all this post should do is hi-lite the dangers of compressed gas & how it should only be used in suitable applications.

Don't put co2 (even if, like this case, regulated) into items made for propane.

The result may be a very large bang that hurts.

I haer a lot of 'faer' about lipos but I think the real danger is the less flamable co2. Use with care.

Greg.

The result may be a very large bang that hurts.

Briefly.

Before it all goes dark.

Bits of pot-metal gun magazine embedded in your skull can ruin your whole day and, much as the myth suggests that chicks dig scars, that doesn't usually apply when they're facial ones alongside lost eyes, nose and/or lips.

This thread should be stickied, this is like the 4th or 5th time I've seen people posting stuff like this. Someone is going to get bits of plastic in their face one day from trying this.

CAUTION: Always ensure that you charge CO2 into devices that are designed to take CO2. Charging CO2 into pistols and rifles not designed to handle the high pressures of CO2 will either damage the gun, or in some cases cause the gun to explode. This may result in injury or even death. READ INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USE

As soon as you regulate CO2 you effectively filter out the liquid, just like in propane, it's the liquid turning into a gas that matters. The more liquid in the mag the more gas... the more rounds you'll get out. That's why you fill the mags with the bottle upside down: it's bit hard to make liquid flow up

Depending on the temperature CO2 can vary (typically) between 800-1000psi. Pressurised gas/air at 2000psi will strip your skin off. In contrast to this the 134a gas used is at around 70psi. Propane/green comes in at around 100psi - green gas can happily destroy the slides of some pistols within a few shots. Red gas comes in at the 140psi mark and should only be used in metal pistols. Just a note: the hotter the weather the higher the PSI. At 30degrees C (86f) these nicely flammable gases come in as: 134a = ~100psi, Propane = ~140psi and Red Gas = ~200psi.

The CO2 powered airsoft pistols found on the market that take the little bulb type catridges have in-built regulators! So when you're firing one of those don't go thinking it's putting 800-1000psi's worth of gas behind the BB.

Normal 134a/Green gas guns have no regulators in them, whatever pressure is in the mag is what they'll output. Regulate CO2 down to 100psi, put that in your gun and you'll maybe get 2 shots out it, it's just pointless. Set up a CO2 regulated unit and connect that into the mag and you can make it work - means you'll have an external tank then.

I'm just thankfully HPA tanks aren't so common in airsoft anymore. I can see it now: "I tried to put 3000psi into my TM Hi-capa and well the valve slipped and 3000psi of air shot out and stripped the skin off my hand and face. The doctor says he can rebuild my face within 6 years if he can steal enough skin from my butt." <_<

This thread should be stickied, this is like the 4th or 5th time I've seen people posting stuff like this. Someone is going to get bits of plastic in their face one day from trying this.

Nah. let's get some candidates for a Darwin Award this year.

The CO2 powered airsoft pistols found on the market that take the little bulb type catridges have in-built regulators! So when you're firing one of those don't go thinking it's putting 800-1000psi's worth of gas behind the BB.

Just being pedantic really...

The usual CO2 mags you get aren't actually "regulated".

What they DO have is extremely small gas ports.

When you shoot a Sigma or M190 CO2 the gas is flowing through a tiny hole even though the hammer is (obviously) the same as on a gas gun and the gas valve opens in a similar manner.

The only difference is that the gas is discharged through a 1mm hole rather than a pair of 3mm holes so, overall, you get a roughly similar amount of gas blasting the BB out of the muzzle.

So you had to be really dumb, did you? You're lucky to have tried a low enough setting at first. There's no playing with high pressure gases and tanks that aren't designed to handle the pressure.

If the pressure of CO2 is below 800 psi in room temperature, there won't be any liquid in the magazine. That's why you only got off a few shots. When you increase the pressure, you're entering into the field where Darwin Awards candidates are made.

-Sale

I was well aware of the dangers about using this application, thank you. :)

That's why I only tried the low settings.

It still wouldn't be regulated.

It has its flow restricted.

The gas is still at 900psi but so little of it gets through the valve while it is open that as it expands through the pipework leading to the chamber it looses a lot of its pressure.

So you are saying that 'regulated' means allowed to expand to a certain point to allow a certain pressure, when coming from a resevior at another (usually higher) pressure?

Or am I missing something?

Greg.

A regulator in the true sense uses a diaphragm spring set up. The spring allows a certain amount of gas through, it keeps the pressure constant by either opening more or closing up. So as pressure changes from the main flow the regulator works to provide a constant output.

You could argue that a valve with a smaller hole is a form of regulator, it is reducing the pressure output (though it will not provide a consistent pressure). To be technically-pedantic about it; it's more of a "flow control/restricted" :)

Here's a pretty picture of a regulator (not the best pic of a regulator but you get the idea):

Chapter9_img_2.PNG

A regulator in the true sense uses a diaphragm spring set up. The spring allows a certain amount of gas through, it keeps the pressure constant by either opening more or closing up.  So as pressure changes from the main flow the regulator works to provide a constant output.

That was what I was going to say.

The accepted criteria for the term "regulated" with respect to gas-flowm is where the pressure is controlled.

For the intended use on the appropriate moscarts they are really cool. Do a search 'cos I posted observations last week & can't be assed to repeat. Need less to say, since going co2 I've been flogging off all my old carts.

The best thing is that the adjustable 'regulator' (they do a non-adjustable 'adaptor' too) allows you to go from 'same as green' through 'bloody great' all the way to 'no thank you, that's just plain stupid & going to hurt someone!'

& many thanks for the 'regulator class', genuinely appreciated.

Greg.

Archived