For ASF users

sc0rp10n

Does anyone have anyway of finding the site, it's been gone since saturday evening!

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/index.php

Everytime you try that link it goes to a youtube video page. And when you try the master link..

http://www.airsoftforum.com/

It takes you to a very long video documentary on Youtube.

Can anyone find out what happened?

It's not a hack man, if it was it would have been a bit different. It's something that someone over at ASF decided to do. Which is cross a very big line....I'm not going to get into a big pissing contest here...

Airsofting should be neutral....period.....but I will be posting something up when ASF comes back, and I will also be asking for my account there to be deleted....

I don't think anyone has any right to try to use airsofting to change anyones believes.....

This is what I posted to my home forums this morning.....

"I'm rather upset this morning. If you go to Airsoft Forums this morning you will be redirected to a Extremist Conspiracy theory on you tube.It's not because of a hack, according to things I have seen, I think the guy that runs ASF has done this on purpose. I'm not here and I'm not posting this to open a discussion of whats right, whats wrong, 1st amendment blah blah. I think as a whole, the rule of no political views getting mixed up with Airsofting is golden and should be kept, due to the fact that their are so many wide ranging beliefs in the airsoft community. There is such a wide group of people involved in this, politics is something we cannot bring into play. It will degrade the sport into a fist fight, with hurt feelings, bruised bodies, and other travesties of manhood....

I think, what with, all of the different walks of life surfing the net for information about airsofting, there's too much already involved with airsofting's public face, for someone involved with the sport to pull something so utterly irresponsible as having his Forums URL redirect to something so incredibly extremist. Before either A. I get this post removed or B. Get utterly flamed for this post...let me explain.

Airsofting is something that, I find, extremely open minded. There's a huge slice of life that plays airsoft, our little family here proves that.

This is something, as a brother in arms with this hobby,that we have a responsibility of upholding, I feel. By redirecting his site, whether it's right winged or it's left winged, the owner of ASF has crossed that line, and dishonored the hobby by doing so. If I'm going to his site about airsofting, I shouldn't have to worry about someone shoving any political conspiracy views down my throat, no matter what I believe in.

I'm going there about airsoft.

I also feel strongly about this because of this. We are already looked at by some in the general populace as a bunch of freaks. Do we really need a national forum redirect the masses searching for the public face of Airsofting as a group, to any extremist view, regardless of the fact of what direction politically the message is coming from? We have enough work in front of us keeping airsofting legal and respected, without one of our own helping......

I'm hoping that I haven't crossed any lines. I don't care what you believe. But I have no right to try to use your hobby, to change what you believe about anything. I understand that the guy owns the servers, and he owns the domain and what not. But he doesn't own the hobby, and he doesn't have anymore right than I.....

If he wants to change peoples beliefs than maybe he should use turn his forum into another conspiracy theory place, god knows theres not enough of that floating around on the internets....

I personally will only go to ASF once more, and thats to voice this opinion to the owners and admins of the board. At that point I will also ask for my account there to be deleted. I just don't feel like this is treating a hobby that has as many participants as ours, responsibly and ethically. There's no place for it IMHO....."

And for anyone questioning my information, I first heard about this whole thing with ASF via Revenge Seekers sig...

I apologize to the Mods and Admins for any drama my post here has started or might start, and I don't want to start cross boards drama...I just wanted to answer this guys question.

And also voice the opinion that there has been a serious line crossed....

Is it possible that they are just updating the software? I know they had been talking about doing it. Maybe that is what is going on, and the link is just temporary. IDK, but I would like it to come back, too.

Edit: Yea, just checked out RS's sig. This blows, I guess they aren't updating the software. I am loyal to ASF, and this won't change that, but this is BS. I think he has crossed the line. Just get the site back up and running, and quit messing around with other peoples' opinions.

Wow, thank you very much for the replies gents! It's been very informative. I also have some information on DNS servers and IP changes from the good folks on AirsoftCanada.com. They even tried to help me refresh my DNS and explained how the IP addresses work and why they are different.

I don't fully know if that backs your theory ruvon, but it sure sounds like it does.

I only ever use the forums for the classifieds section, there really isn't much useful info on the main boards anway. Just a lot of people talking, but nothing is ever really said - if you know what I mean. ;)

Yep it's called Operation Sheeple IIRC. Though I may be wrong. There was a post about it on ASF and everyone assumed it was the site update. But it seemed that others knew what it was about but didn't say.

It's all speculation right now until the site goes back up.

But I definitely don't like that youtube mess. Politics shouldn't be shoved down peoples throats on a hobby site. Bad form, whoever did it.

If this is against the rules to post here, please close.

To the users of Airsoftforum.com, the site is temporarily being "fixed" so that everytime you log on, you will be directed to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfqq3bELYhY

Admin believes in a "conspiracy" in which the US government planned 911 and that we have been their "slaves" for 100 years. He is calling this a "rude awakening" to all those who "have been asleep". The staff tried to persuade him not to do this as it can scare away members and sponsors. Whether this is right or not, I will not say. Just a heads up if you're confused as to why you keep on getting directed to that video.

He is calling this "Operation Sheeple". He said it will be back to normal in 24-48 from last night (about 8 hours ago). But he also said "there will be other plans"/

But I definitely don't like that youtube mess. Politics shouldn't be shoved down peoples throats on a hobby site. Bad form, whoever did it.

The internet is probably full of stuff I wouldn't approve of.

When I stumble upon such a thing I make use of a little-known browser feature...

..It's called the "back" button. ;)

It is not hacked or broken (unfortunately). It is something that Admin on ASF is doing to further his own agenda. It is a shame, and I do believe it is irresponsible especially since ASF does have paying sponsors. Hopefully they will convince Admin of his mistake, but if not oh well.

I am also seriously considering removing myself from the forum, but it has been a good airsoft forum in the past. There is a post on it from Admin in the announcements section, when he decides to let you access the board actually, but that is intermittent. Thankfully most of the time the youtube video is corrupted.

There is some truth in the video presented there (the US prison popn and the abolishment of Posse Comitatus in the event of an emergency). But shutting down an airsoft forum to present it isnt the way to win friends.

There are times and places for this kind of video/presentation...but trying to enforce it onto people is as bad as religious propagandists - its rude, offensive and ineffective.

This Admin dude has made a wrong move, it seems to me.

Also keep in mind that no one in the staff knew about this. Admin did not tell anyone until the day he decided to take action. Even Dom (a fellow Admin) did not know.

I am also seriously considering removing myself from the forum, but it has been a good airsoft forum in the past.

I'm with you. Just for this, I do not think I want to be part of ASF anymore. I use these forums for airsoft discussion. Political is something I use my youtube account for.

Why are we talking about another Airsoft site on this, the best and only Airsoft site worth two sh**'s anyway? :huh:

Slainte!

That is why I am highly considering makin Arnies my main airsoft forum from now on.

That is why I am highly considering makin Arnies my main airsoft forum from now on.

I liked the fact that over on ASF I was actually spreading knowledge. Over here I seem to spend all my time in the pictures threads. Ah well, hopefully this will all blow over really soon. I do hope Admin is made to understand what a mistake he is making, but I think that he won't be listening. I hope more of the mods speak up and let him know that his views aren't supported.

Edit: Kozy, please be kidding, please.

Archived