GLOCK 17 issues.

thewallhitme

Hey guys, glad to see the boards back online.

Bought a second hand glock 17 on saturday but i cant tell what make it is. He told me it was a TM, but i dont see any TM markings on it. Infact, no airsoft markings at all, just the "real" markings. Can anyone help me identify it?

Second issue: it wont fire. the mag doest leak, but when i pull the trigger, 1 of 3 things happens.

1)I get a "POP" sound and a little gas comes out the barrel.

2)It cycles but only for around 5 shots before it runs out of gas, and doesnt cycle enough to load te next round.

3)The shot comes out, the slide moves back a little then gets stuck and vents all the as in the mag.

If anyone has any idea whats wrong with this, please give me a shout, even if its just speculative. a friend is gong to look at it but thats not for another 2 weeks :(

Third issue: need a holster. Preferably horizontal for my plate carrier so it sits on my chest. My friend is going to sell me some night sights which i am rather excited to see, but they may limit which holters i can use. Probably not, but if you have any recommendations please keep this in mind. Also, not looking for anything expensive, so no real deal holsters :P

Have you cleaned it, or tryed lubing it.

It can be good to deep clean on an old gun. dismantling it as far as you are compfortable, wiping all the gunk off with kitchen roll or similar and re-oiling with pure silicone oil (most airsoft shops sell it).

You could test by filling it with lube, i mean really be silly with spraying everywhere, and move each part you can see to get the oil around.

This is the most likley problem, but it could aso be due to shooting in the cold , or an empty can of gas. Check those as well.

hope this helps

Hmm, yeah im not that comfortable with gas guns, but I'll certainly strip it down and give it a spray of silicone and a wipe down. its a brand new can of gas though, and i warmed the mag a little in my pocket so I dont think its likely t be either of those.

im thinking it may be the hammer spring has worn out and doesnt have enough umph to give the valve a good knock to fully open it.

Hey guys, glad to see the boards back online.

Bought a second hand glock 17 on saturday but i cant tell what make it is. He told me it was a TM, but i dont see any TM markings on it. Infact, no airsoft markings at all, just the "real" markings. Can anyone help me identify it?

Second issue: it wont fire. the mag doest leak, but when i pull the trigger, 1 of 3 things happens.

1)I get a "POP" sound and a little gas comes out the barrel.

2)It cycles but only for around 5 shots before it runs out of gas, and doesnt cycle enough to load te next round.

3)The shot comes out, the slide moves back a little then gets stuck and vents all the as in the mag.

TM G17s have the Marui logo on the right side of the frame above the trigger guard. It could be possible that the frame was replaced, but I don't think so. It could be a clone but I haven't been paying attention to airsoft products over the past several months.

If all it's doing now is shooting BBs at very low FPS, but not cycling the slide at all, it probably something to do with (as you've suggested) the hammer not striking the valve hard enough and just bouncing off (ie, a light strike), either releasing just enough gas to fire a BB or just enough to make a noise. It's also possible that the valve is gummed up or damaged and prevents the release of enough gas. To check for this, just press the valve of an empty mag in with your finger and make sure it is smooth and the return is quick.

Occurrence 2 is probably to do with light strikes as well, but because only 5 rounds can be fired and sometimes all of the gas is vented occasionally, you may also want to look into the mag catch being worn. This could be causing both of these problems, but it would still probably be in combination with the light strikes. It might also be the floating valve inside the blowback unit, but it is extremely unusual to have problems with stock Marui valves.

cheers chris! i dont think this is a TM. doe KSC make a plastic slide Glock? could it be that the gas im using is too strong to allow the valve to be stuck? im using abbey ultra, but thats what my friend said he used. either way, i bough it to upgrade it, and ive only payed half the price and have been offered a refund.

if i replace the hammer spring, should i replace anything else such as recoil spring?

No, got mine from airsoft global in the end. $19 part with $25 flat rate postage. Turned up pretty quick in end. If you need some other parts, then don't work out toooooo bad as postage stays same up to a certain weight!

I brought a couple bits at the same time to sell on, just to even out the cost a little bit though :)

It's stupidly hard to get any small parts from the UK. :(

Don't think you can see it too easily. Best way is to rack it, remove the slide, press the trigger and look how far forward the hammer moves. If it's hardly anything, may well be #78. If it comes forward about half cm, then should be fine.

I took mine apart recently. Not too much of a nightmare, just a bit fiddly. Took a good 30mins to get back together! lol

I hate to throw a damper on your purchase but are you sure it's a genuine KSC G17?

I seem to recall there are some seriously poor quality copies of the KSC design. There are even fake KWA (which should be of the same quality as a KSC) G17s on sale.

If you take a look at some of the posts in the pistol review forum you'll see that some of these cheap quality items don't work even when new. :(

The whole "light strike" thing can be caused by a HUGE number of reasons. Sometimes it seems like almost any replacement part can cause this to happen.

The most common fault with KSC glocks is the rocket valve inside the GBB cylinder.

If this breaks it can cause the symptoms you describe.

Upgraded rocket valves are available from HK retailers but fitting one will mean stripping the mechanism out of the slide.

It's actually not terribly hard to do.

You need to strip the GBB cylinder down to check if the rocket valve is broken before purchasing a new one though.

If you're sure you want a KSC glock (they ARE decent enough pistols when they work right) then I'd suggest you might buy a spare mag from a reputable retailer.

There could be a problem with the seal to the gun or the release valve which is causing the fault.

If a new mag works fine then you know the problem is with the original mag.

Be warned that you really need to identify what the problem really is (such as, hopefully, a broken rocket valve) before purchasing any parts to fix it.

I've had G17s that refuse to work properly for a huge variety of reasons and sometimes it gets to the point where you replace one component with another one that looks identical but which causes the gun to stop shooting.

In the end it gets to the point where sometimes it's only possible to diagnose a fault by taking components off a faulty gun one at a time and fitting them to a working gun until you find out which part is causing the problem.

Obviously you need at least 2 identical guns for this so it's not an ideal situation.

As I said, unless you can spot a damaged component I wouldn't go spending money on it randomly.

Basically, the workings of a GBB can be broken down into 3 parts.

The gas supply - the magazine.

The trigger and hammer assembly - the frame.

The GBB mechanism - the slide.

The trigger and hammer mechanism on a Glock are pretty simple and you say it's working properly.

One more thing on that note; The gun DOES cock reliably, right?

When you rack the slide the hammer cocks and then releases when you pull the trigger, right?

Assuming the trigger/hammer is okay, that leaves the mag and the slide.

The easiest way to check the mag is to bung it in another G17 and see if it works.

The slide is the hardest part to diagnose.

It might look okay but something might not be sealing right or operating right.

Does the GBB cylinder move forward and backward smoothly?

You can check this by removing the recoil rod and barrel and then hooking your fingernail into the square gas port and trying to ease the cylinder forward.

If it moves forward easily does it also spring back into place smoothly.

There are a couple of tiny springs that operate the cylinder and they can get mangled with a lot of use.

Again, often the simplest thing to do is whip the entire slide off a faulty gun and stick it on a working gun to see if it works.

wow, thats very informative!

i was at a friends house today and we compared his glock 23. mygas mag has now started leaking big time from the top, so we tested my gun with hi mags. the gun cycles when it is dry fired, but if there is a round in the chamber then it will shoot but wont move the slide.

the trigger group appears to be fine. it always cocks the hammer and fires every time.

unfortunately the screw holdig the BB unit has been wrecked and no screw driver will remove it :( this is an old gun. the GBB cylinder does move and springs back well, and i put a bit of silicone to loosen it up, but it still wont cycle.

i think part of the problem is i was using Abbey ultra gas, and it was only giving the popping sound. when i used 134a it cycles when it is dry fired, but not with a BB.

Archived