Decided on getting a G36c

fullmetalxero

Well after maybe a couple of months of browsing and research on the internet, I've decided on getting a G36c rifle for a starting AEG, but I'm deciding whether to get a TM or CA. I've heard that most people get TM AEGs for a starter, but also heard CAs can last longer. The only way my parents would let me get an AEG is if I promise it's the last AEG I get until I can pay for one on my own with maybe a job (I'm 13). Since it's the holidays, my parents might let me spend the extra money for a CA, but they'd still get mad at me for spending $350, so that might nudge me towards the TM. So what would be better for a new player, a TM G36c or a CA G36c?

Its all down to your price range, i would probably say a CA G36c they do last longer and there more metal than plastic, 

Erm, not sure were your getting your info from SB, but the CA has the same bits metal as the TM. As for them lasting longer, how the hell could anyone say a gun that been out all of 6 or 7 months lasts longer than a gun thats been out a couple of years? how many TM G36Cs have you heard of dieing due to old age?

i do have a TM G36c but the only fault is the semi auto some times buggers up on it, so i would say a CA G36c, hope this is of help. 

:mellow: so you would recommend a gun you've never used on the strength of semi auto not working all the time on one you have? Semi auto "buggering up" is just an AEG thing, you have to put up with it on every single gun from Armalite to AK to P90- the only AEG that doesn't bugger up as often is the PSG1, which is designed specifically for firing in semi automatic.

Why CA? fair enough thats your opinion , and on G36's I'd admit you know your stuff, but simply stating which gun to pick isn't enough. The reasons you would choose CA (slightly closer to the weight of the real gun and comes at a higher stock FPS) might make it a bad choice for someone who wants to use it in a different way to how you use it.

fmx,

Please bear in mind the cost of starting this. It's not just the gun you need to get. You need a nice charger, 2 packs of nice batteries if you're going for the mini's, a nice can of silicon spray, and a did I mention nice? A nice sling.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, NICE EYES PROTECTION!

It'd be a good move to show how mature you are to your parents if you can break all those down and print your parents a list of all that, and give the total costs.

Gloves, knee pads, etc. I went with the TM btw.. nothing wrong with the price and "nice" tidy cables.

Normally I'd say get a CA over a Marui gun.

Reason being that, even if the internals are junk, you've still got a nice strong metal shell to work with.

That doesn't apply to the G36 though.

I know the CA36 is supposed to be made of GRP rather than ABS but they both just look like "plastic" to me.

This is one case where I probably would go with Marui rather than anybody else.

Beyond that, you KNOW that all the 3rd-party manufactured accesories (carry handles, fore-ends etc) WILL fit the Marui gun. They might also fit the CA gun but they'll hve been designed for the Marui gun.

fmx,

Please bear in mind the cost of starting this.  It's not just the gun you need to get.  You need a nice charger, 2 packs of nice batteries if you're going for the mini's, a nice can of silicon spray, and a did I mention nice?  A nice sling.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, NICE EYES PROTECTION!

It'd be a good move to show how mature you are to your parents if you can break all those down and print your parents a list of all that, and give the total costs.

Gloves, knee pads, etc.  I went with the TM btw.. nothing wrong with the price and "nice" tidy cables.

I was planning on getting only one pack of batteries and getting an extra later on with a sling. I'm getting face protection before even getting the gun. I've seen what BB's flying 300 fps can do to your teeth. Plus the field I'm planning to go to requires it. lol

I've printed a BUNCH of different wishlists for my parents for christmas, lol. At first I wanted a CA M4, then changed to a UTG MP5 A4/A5, then now I want the G36C. I've printed safety rules, gun care, etc. and handed it to my parents. They were kinda impressed by the work I put into this, but they weren't to happy with the total cost, lol.

Keep the opinions coming guys, I really appreciate the help.

Well good for you to get the protection first. And nobody's gonna like the "total cost" in this sport. It's insane. Seriously I could've gotten a 2nd hand BMW 325i convertible with this already. But if you handle the money matter clearly and neatly, your parents will appreciate it for guns to come (omg.. you're so dead).

And when you finally got the gun, please handle with care. I can't stress enough to people that these are only toys, very expensive toys. Toys break. If you're unsure how to handle it, ask us here and we'll be happy to help (uh as long as it's not in the searches I guess). ^_^

I'd go with the CA. I've handled both and the TM is just too light for me. ALso feels cheap. The CA has a NICE body, not rattly or squeaky at all. The body should last longer than a TM. Also the CA has a re-enforced gearbox, again, should last longer than a TM. Then of course there is the fact that the CA36c shoots 300-320 right out of the box where the TM is only shooting 275-285 out of the box. If you don't have to worry about upgrading to be competitive you don't have to worry about screwing something up when you open the gear box up. Oh, and if you intend to change it into a longer version just buy a CA barrel kit, they work just fine and match the finish.

Firstly, I'd agree with EVERYTHING Sid said above.

To back that up though, on PAPER, they both have their merits. The CA does have a higher fps out of the box, but there is a higher price-tag and there have been reports of poor magazine compatibility.

Personally, I have owned a TM G36c since before I joined the forums (many moons ago) and it has been by far the best gun I have ever owned.

The bottom line though, is that there is very little in it. The TM is perfect for me - others like the CA.

Pick one and go for it - you won't be disappointed whichever one you go for. There really is VERY little in it.

Enjoy your new G36c ;)

Its all down to your price range, i would probably say a CA G36c they do last longer and there more metal than plastic, i do have a TM G36c but the only fault is the semi auto some times buggers up on it, so i would say a CA G36c, hope this is of help.

What parts are more metal?

Normally I'd say get a CA over a Marui gun.

Reason being that, even if the internals are junk, you've still got a nice strong metal shell to work with.

That doesn't apply to the G36 though.

I know the CA36 is supposed to be made of GRP rather than ABS but they both just look like "plastic" to me.

This is one case where I probably would go with Marui rather than anybody else.

Beyond that, you KNOW that all the 3rd-party manufactured accesories (carry handles, fore-ends etc) WILL fit the Marui gun. They might also fit the CA gun but they'll hve been designed for the Marui gun.

This was my exact reasoning for getting the TM G36C.

Well looking in AA at their 36c's, I have to say that the TM looks a hell of a lot more shiny than the CA

Also the CA comes with metal bushings and stronger spring as has been mentioned.

Then you also get side rails with the CA

Pretty sure CA gives you a 470rnd hi-cap mag (they do with the CA36), whereas TM gives you a standard, but don't quote me on that.

Yes, the CA comes with a hicap where as the TM comes with a standard.

Having owned both, I can say with certainty that the CA body is superior. Here are a few of pictures which illustrate the difference in materials.

Here we see the the TM handguard versus the CA body with a real Hk G36K handguard fitted.

DSCN0160.sized.jpg

Here is the CA body with CA mag well versus the TM mag well.

DSCN0159.sized.jpg

Here is the CA body with Hk handguard again.

DSCN0167.sized.jpg

As you can see, the CA matches the real deal much more closely than the TM. It's actually better in person too, the flash is exaggerating matters in these pics. Even without the direct comparison, the TM is very plasticy looking and feeling to me. It developed creaks and felt before too long (minor, but there), where as my CA body is still solid as a rock.

Having used all manner of parts on my TM and CA bodies, and because my gun is a bit of a frankenstein consisting of a TM gearbox and frame, a CA body, TM carry handle, G&G barrel assembly, Hk handguard, and TM mags, I think I can fairly safely say that fitting aftermarket parts or kits on the CA is not really an issue. There can be minor fit problems depending on the application, sure, but they can be easily dealt with.

What parts are more metal?

The barrel assembly is metal, where is the TM's is mostly plastic. That's about it though.

As far as your choice goes, have you searched this site? There have been a lot of threads on this topic.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=26533

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=10611

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=21800

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=28815

There is also a review of each on this site:

TM http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/?filnavn=/revie...g36c_review.htm

CA http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/?filnavn=/revie...36c_review1.htm

There are a few on CA36s in the database too:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/reviewpost/...2/cat/16/page/1

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/reviewpost/...2/cat/16/page/1

Here's my old 'off the top of my head, having used both' list

Top five things I wish the CA36C had that the TM G36C has:

1. Manufacturing tolerance consistency

2. Definite click between fire modes (has been improved on later models)

3. Clean feeling movement of the stock and stock release button (has been improved on later models)

4. Sharp marking s on the rear sight

5. Real Hk Markings

Top five things I wish the TM G36C had that the CAG36C has:

1. REALLY solid body feel (the TM isn't bad, but the CA does feel more solid)

2. Plastic that more resembles the real G36's polymer

3. Metal bushings out of the box

4. Less to dremel to fit a custom battery (Compared to CA36C at the time of writting. The CA36 and CA36K have redesigned barrel assemblies which require no dremeling. This is much better than the TM if you ask me. The change may be rolled into the CA36C in the future or allready, not sure ATM.)

5. There is no number five.

What they both need:

1. To not need dremeling to fit real handguards (See above statement about CAs in this regard.)

2. Lock tight on the selector switches' grub screws

3. Recessed fire select markings, or just better paint that wont wear away. (CA is better than TM here based on my experience.)

4. Stronger plastic for the mags, the connector nubs break too easily.

5. I'm sure there's something else...

I tend to say that if you want to be as sure as you can you won't need to return or repair it out of the box, the TM is the safe choice. However, as long as you buy from a reliable retailer, I'd not worry about this too much. TMs can fail out of the box too, after all.

Also, it has been my experience that CA guns benefit from a little work internally, to really get the most out of them. The TM is already well tuned. Upgrading the CA is as simple as dropping in a stronger spring, however. The TM on the other hand, will require work and parts just to get it to shoot as hard as a stock CA. Two sides of the same coin really.

Me personally, if I were to get a G36 today knowing what I know now, I'd go with a CA36K. This doesn't mean that's the right choice for you, it's just my 2¢.

As always: Nice work zero :)

BTW: Have you replaced the charging handle with a metal one? Looks so metalish on your pictures :)

Top five things I wish the CA36C had that the TM G36C has:

2. Definite click between fire modes (has been improved on later models)

3. Clean feeling movement of the stock and stock release button (has been improved on later models)

What I can tell from my experience is that this isn't just improved, it's completely fixed. Works both crisp and clean :)

4. Sharp marking s on the rear sight

A little issue here: The sight can't be properly used in the 100/200m position, because it's not possible to get it in an right angle when fliped from the 300m position to 100/200m.

Another thing would be a lighter colored magazine. The plastic used for CAs magazines has the right texture, but it's too dark compared to a real one. TMs magazines on the other hand are perfectly colored, but the texture of the plastic is poor.

What they both need:

1. To not need dremeling to fit real handguards (See above statement about CAs in this regard.)

Agree

3. Recessed fire select markings, or just better paint that wont wear away. (CA is better than TM here based on my experience.)

No problems with CAs markings till now.

4. Stronger plastic for the mags, the connector nubs break too easily.

It's pretty interesting that they tend to break expecially when you combine a TM and a CA mag. There is a slight difference between the mags of both manufacturers, it's not visible but when you stick them togehter you will notice that there's some mechanical stress. I suggest to use only one brand.

BTW: Have you replaced the charging handle with a metal one? Looks so metalish on your pictures :)

Nope, I don't really see a reason to. It looks fine, and the gun is already close to the real weight. And, you never really touch it (as you know the part you grab is still plastic) so there's no real improvement in terms of feel. Waste of money if you ask me. :)

What I can tell from my experience is that this isn't just improved, it's completely fixed. Works both crisp and clean :)

Good to hear. I may need to change my list...

A little issue here: The sight can't be properly used in the 100/200m position, because it's not possible to get it in an right angle when fliped from the 300m position to 100/200m.

Interesting, I never noticed that. I'll have to look into it.

Another thing would be a lighter colored magazine. The plastic used for CAs magazines has the right texture, but it's too dark compared to a real one. TMs magazines on the other hand are perfectly colored, but the texture of the plastic is poor.

Good to know.

No problems with CAs markings till now.

Me either, perhaps this isn't an issue for CA after all.

It's pretty interesting that they tend to break expecially when you combine a TM and a CA mag. There is a slight difference between the mags of both manufacturers, it's not visible but when you stick them togehter you will notice that there's some mechanical stress. I suggest to use only one brand.

Interesting. It makes sense that the CA and TM mags wouldn't play nicely in this way, the CA mags probably being a tiny bit smaller then the TM mags and all. Incidentally, I have a Star midcap, and let me tell you it's fit with a TM mag is 'interesting'. They can connect, but they're a slightly different shape. Their profiles don't quite line up. I wish I had a pic handy! This is probably like the CA/TM difference, but exaggerated a bit.

I think it's the release for the bolt. Not sure on that, though, haven't had a G36 in a while, and my aging memory can fail.

:zorro:

Exactly right. In the CA and TM versions, it unfortunately does nothing but hold a pin in place.

Interesting. It makes sense that the CA and TM mags wouldn't play nicely in this way, the CA mags probably being a tiny bit smaller then the TM mags and all. Incidentally, I have a Star midcap, and let me tell you it's fit with a TM mag is 'interesting'. They can connect, but they're a slightly different shape. Their profiles don't quite line up. I wish I had a pic handy! This is probably like the CA/TM difference, but exaggerated a bit.

Hm maybe Star replicated the real magazine better than TM and CA. The mags of the two big manufacturers are both not correct in shape when compared to a real one. The curve isn't identical.

I changed my mind on getting the MP5 and was able to intercept the shipping.So I will be the proud owner of a Ca G36C.

I had not really considered the gun in the beginning as it was over the limits of what I wanted to spend.My dissatisfaction with the Chinese UTG MP5 got the ball rolling and had ordered the ICS MP5.

After looking at this thread and some others on the G36, I said whats another 60.00 on top of everything. :D

So hopefully it will come through in good shape and I will be on my way to happy days.

On a flash suppressor?I had one ordered with the MP5 so I left it in the order.Will this fit on the G36 or will I have to search for another .If so any tips on a site that carries the proper ones?

Well airsplat sends me a e mail that says they are on back order for two to three weeks.So I will just cancel out that order.Shorty,airsoft atlanta also out of stock.

I see this company 21st Century Tactical,21Century airsoft ,they show the product in stock,but I am wondering if anyone here knows if they are a good company to deal with?

Hmmm, Don't know about 21st century.

Try these guys:

AIRSOFTNY

I play fairly regularly with the owner and he can usually get things in a timely manor.

I have the CA36c and love it, although the CA Highcaps kinda make me crazy (springs separated from the hub on the winding gear..easy fix but still). I have switched to all TM lowcaps and any and all feeding issues have disappeared. Granted lowcaps can be an expensive way to go (I play with 9) but they add a measure of realism :). If your truly concerned about losing your mag clips, small velcro straps can be used to cinch the mags together and relieve the shearing stress on the tabs . Also, definitely locktight the grub screw on your selector switches...every G36 in our group is missing the left one (opposite side from ejection port) as they loosen up and tend to fall off in the high grass out in the woods, and they have been out of stock at most places for months.

FYI:

AEX has the CA36C for $295, and they're having a 10% off sale. So that's 265.50 plus shipping. Not a bad deal, and they offer a 30 day warranty. http://airsoftextreme.com

AirsoftGI has it for $295, and it comes with a bag of 2000 .20g BBs. You can get free ground shipping if you use the coupon code 'freeupsground'. But, they don't offer a warranty on the CA36C for some reason. http://www.airsoftgi.com

Archived